Front master brake for a standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front master brake for a standard

Don't want to waist $ on another garbage master, anyone got a good functioning one for a standard? I don't care what it looks like as long as it's solid.
    79 XS11 F

Brakes & Lines - Replace them all.....

Originally posted by rangerguy302 View Post
    Don't want to waist $ on another garbage master, anyone got a good functioning one for a standard? I don't care what it looks like as long as it's solid.
    Rangerguy,
    You didn't mention what "Garbage Master" you had purchased previously but assume it was possibly one of the ultra cheapo Chinese models on evil-bay?

When I started back into the Motorcycle Hobby several years ago I purchased a low-dollar unit from China because it had cool looking shortly levers anodized gold and a really cool looking reservoir. It turned out to be a total P.O.S. and I was afraid to trust this thing with my life. It got tossed in the trash can after just a few miles of use....

Although I am sure the offerings from XJBikes.com and MikesXS.com are also manufactured in China, they appear to hold their manufacturers to a higher standard. (MikesXS Part 08-0265).

I own several XS11's and don't even screw around with the OEM brake masters or OEM brake lines when I buy any new bikes. I just toss 'em all in the trash and buy a new 16mm version from either XJbikes or Mike's and the SS brake lines to go with them. Never had a problem with thousands of miles on the masters, properly threaded for Yamaha mirrors, easy to bleed, etc.

After nearly 40 years, all these OEM Masters are due for a complete rebuild and cleaning if not already recently done (~$40 kit). Additionally, it PROBABLY has a torn up rubber boot/cover, beat up lever, caps are deformed (typically), reservoirs are cloudy, etc. Our lives depend on brakes that work properly.....

A new master unit is ~$80 with new boot, new lever, and a new brake lamp switch and will work completely care-free for years. A full set of DOT compliant SS brake lines is ~$150

Very Respectfully,
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Guys I have rebuilt the cylinders and master cylinders front and rear. The rear I can get to slide on good pavement the front pushes my shocks all the way down and will make the front tire screech a little on good pavement and on wet or gravel I am sure too much and the front would slide out from under me so brakes are the best I can get on these bikes. True replacement could be better but I only need the mount because the threads were over torqued and I worry about them. I could easily use Helicoil but do not want to.
      Last edited by ViperRon; 09-25-2018, 02:42 AM. Reason: personal
      To fix the problem one should not make more assumptions than the minimum needed.

Rodan
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khm6...liHntN91DHjHiS
      1980 G Silverbird
      Original Yamaha Fairfing and Bags
      1198 Overbore kit
      Grizzly 660 ACCT
      Barnett Clutch Springs
      R1 Clutch Fiber Plates
      122.5 Main Jets
      ACCT Mod
      Mac 4-2 Flare Tips
      Antivibe Bar ends