Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork brace for '79 SF

XS11,

Anyone looking to sell a used (or new) fork brace for a 1979 SF?

I've emailed t-kat with no success. Ebay also comes up empty.

Thanks,

Sorb

'79 SF (stock as far as I can tell)
    79 SF

http://www.fastfromthepast.com/25-0036

Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Remember too forbemca that the fork tube on Specials is a few millieters smaller circumferance at top mount location than the Standard forks. One model has KYB forks and the other model has Shoiwa forks. So, there's two different fork braces made, not only different in size but also configuration. Specials having leading axle front forks changes location of front fender/wheel as they set higher up at top.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Special fender is too high for most braces.

Jetmech, the one shown will not fit the Special as the Special front fender extends above where this mounts. The TKat had a special riser that raised the crossbar higher to clear the front fender.

Motoman,

How can I determine which forks I have? KYB or Shoiwa?

Are there measurements I can check? I think I have what you call the "leading axle front forks" and yes, if you mean the fender is higher, that is correct.

Hence my struggle to find a fork brace that fits.

Sorb
        79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by sorbemca View Post
          Jetmech, the one shown will not fit the Special as the Special front fender extends above where this mounts. The TKat had a special riser that raised the crossbar higher to clear the front fender.

Motoman,

How can I determine which forks I have? KYB or Shoiwa?

Are there measurements I can check? I think I have what you call the "leading axle front forks" and yes, if you mean the fender is higher, that is correct.

Hence my struggle to find a fork brace that fits.

Sorb
          Being a SF, as you show it is, you are correct with it having the leading front axle. I get confused as to which forks are which by manufacturer. Either way, the forks on yours DO need the raised cross piece of the brace. TKat's brace is your best option. He IS a member here, and I have ridden with him some previous yr. at the Caly Rally. I believe either Diver Ray or 3Phase in Caly could chime in with help getting in contact with him in order to purchase the correct fork brace.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

I haven't heard from TKat for a few, he's moving to Florida and pretty busy setting up his new house and shop.
            -- Scott
            _____
            ♬
            2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
            ♬

Comment

I posted the correct brace for the Special. It fits. Donebysunday mounted one. I'm not making this up.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                I haven't heard from TKat for a few, he's moving to Florida and pretty busy setting up his new house and shop.
                Thanks for chiming in there Scott! Was kinda curious myself, as it's been some time since I've been aware of his location change.

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                  I posted the correct brace for the Special. It fits. Donebysunday mounted one. I'm not making this up.
                  Had no doubt picture you posted was correct Marty. Just was offering another option from someone most of us know personally.

Comment

I just got an email from TKat the other day in regards for a fork brace for my 79 Special. Did you use the correct email? Maybe try it one more time?

I sent a money order off for one the other day. Price has went up a little but what hasn't risen in price over the years........

Hopefully you can get a hold of them.
                    79 SF

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
                      Jet is correct but I did elongate the holes where the fender bolts to the forks in order to drop the fender about 3/8" and that left clearance of about 5 pages of paper between the top of the fender and the brace.
                      I really do like the look more then the T-Kat https://ibb.co/jROPPF
                      jeeez that flash makes it look spotty/dirty really looks fine with the eye
                      76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                      80 XS650 G Special II
                      https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                      80 XS 1100 SG
                      81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                      https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                      AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Working...
                      X