Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project of mine, tell me where have you been...( think everclears father of mine song

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project of mine, tell me where have you been...( think everclears father of mine song

Hi , new member, I amcurrently attempting to secure a xs1100 frame from another forum member but it is as stated a frame only. That being said I could probably use some help from you more experienced forum members in helping me locate and secure everything else I will need to be able to first start this new exciting project, and hopefully shortly there after complete said project by spring. I have seen a couple of posts that spoke of motors that were modified from stock to increase performance. If that is a possibility then i would certainly be most interested in procuring one of those for my project. I have to state that I am a disabled combat vet so money is an issue but I can move things around if need be to get the things needed to get started. I am keen on not only hearing from you more experienced members but also using said gleaned knowledge to not only assist me in making this project a success but also to help a novice avoid some common pitfalls associated with this kind of endeavor. I will go ahead and thank anyone who chooses to reply for the time spent on this project of mine. Oh and thank you for allowing me and people like me access to the vast knowledge you current forum members are sure to possess.
    79 xs 750, 81 xs 850( custom ), 81 xv 750; 80 G XS11 Standard

Thanks for your service....

BhamminXS,

Thanks for your service and I'm sorry to hear about the injuries.

I would suggest that starting with a frame and building a bike around it is not exactly the best way to proceed. You will certainly learn the bike thoroughly but the expense will quickly far exceed the cost of purchasing something closer to ride-able.

I am in a much different area of the country where the prices may be different somewhat than Colorodo. I have three XS11's that could be driven this afternoon. The MOST expensive of these bikes cost me $500 on the day I brought it home and I overpaid for it! NOW, to get each of these three bikes to a condition that was: safe, reliable, fun, and relatively attractive took ON AVERAGE $2500.00 (including purchase price).

In this area (ATL) XS11's in good running condition, needing little or nothing to be driven but perhaps a little cosmetically challenged are regularly seen offered for $2500 or less. There is currently an '80 SG in very very nice condition without anything missing being offered currently for $1000. That one hasn't run in a few years but it doesn't look like it would take much to make it go and it looks great!

Personally, a few weeks ago, I purchased a '79 (SF) in Pensacola Florida WITH A TITLE for $200. The bike is too far gone for restoration as all the chrome is crap, the tires are crap, and there are a couple missing pieces (front calipers). This bike starts easily and runs as nicely as ANY of my other bikes engines. However, I will be using this as a parts and spares donor for the other three+ in my stable. One like this would be a great place to start.

I have enjoyed turning three total TURDS into nice bikes....BUT....If I were to do it again I would start with at least slightly better machines. I would strongly discourage trying to build one of these from pieces. Look for some TURD you can grab for a few hundred bucks. You'll have a ton of work to do but I believe building from a bare frame is going to cost you 10x as much and will take a VERY long time to accomplish.

Sincerely,
    Kurt
    USN Vet.
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Kurt, thank you for your candor as well as you service sir. I too am ex navy and although I perfectly understand your valid concerns,the frame im getting is free, in Colorado parts as well as complete engines are fairly inexpensive considering. Your first assertion that i will certainly get to know the bike that was is exactly my goal. I can also get three complete xs1100 here locally for just about 1100 bucks two of which are running but that takes out of the equation one me getting to get valuable inside knowledge from members like yourself hopefully, and two learning that bike "I" build inside out. If I find that it is indeed too much for me to do then I will probably take your much appreciated advice and buy into a running project, but seeing as this frame im looking to acquire had already been cut and Im looking to make a custom street fighter anyway, i would much prefer not to chop up a perfectly good bike to make my frankensteins monster come to life. I do intend to purchase a completely stock 1100 sometime soon, but i have this idea in my head and i know myself enough to know putting it off will only serve to infuriate me into action anyway. My injuries are such that i am fully retired so having the time to undertake such a project is right up my alley, in the process i just might save an otherwise hapless chopped frame instead creating a cool, mean, and aptly named street fighter. btw. im a fairly recent transplant from the land of cotton and dont know many locals so the forums and my use of them offer some much needed communication with like minded individuals, like yourself sir.

Comment

A cheap parts supply....

Originally posted by BhamminXS View Post
        I can also get three complete xs1100 here locally for just about 1100 bucks two of which are running but that takes out of the equation one me getting to get valuable inside knowledge ......
        BhamminXS,
        If you could get at least one of those three you would have a parts supply next to your project an arms reach away. You could be building from the frame up your "franken monster" learning everything and interacting with the XS11.com group without driving the costs through the roof. There are so many little pieces needed even with a modified café bike or street fighter style machine searching and hunting; e-bay, craigslist, and LetGo for every little tid-bit will very quickly get old.

The machine above came with a chopped and hacked rear frame. Not exactly a "Street Fighter" but extremely cool to drive.

KURT
        Kurt Boehringer
        Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
        1978 - SR500 - Thumper
        1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
        1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
        1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
        1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
        1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
        1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
        1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
        1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
        1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
        2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

The bike is not much different than your 750/850. If you know those bikes in & out, the 1100 will be a breeze
          1979 XS1100F
          2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Fellow Coloradoan

Bhammin, I have misc. parts laying around here at my place in Denver or I also have a couple different bikes you might be interested in.A 1980 Standard that has the "second gear issue" it is mostly complete, I had it running a few years ago when I bought it , but will need some work also a 78 standard that needs minor tinkering ,or a 81 special that is a mostly a parts bike , but might be of interest to you , feel free to contact me here or at 303-204-5886
            78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Welcome Bahmmin,
              I second the above comments, you will be better off to pick up a basket case that has many of the parts you will need for your Frankenbike. Good luck with your project. We do love pictures on this site so when you are ready start a thread of your "monsters" build.
              Phil
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Guys first let me thank you for the warm reception for a newbie that is an enduring beginning. I value everyone's opinions and concur with those opinions. Another gracious member who is close to me has reached out and had a couple of options for me in this regard at prices I find palatable. I'm hoping to go look at his offerings tomorrow and if we can come to a successful agreement the I may be able to have my cake and eat it too. Ian thank you for belaying my concerns about the1100 on regards to my750/850, I do know those bikes for the most part so I'm looking forward to getting the chance to begin my1100 projects( notice the s at the end of project). If all goes even little in my favor here soon I hope to be starting my original idea or as I guess you guys have now concrete it's new name the frankenbike as well as starting on another1100 project this one a more stock project I'm leaning towards calling frankenbike better dressed, better looking cousin Dr. Strangelove( to keep in line with my apparent b movie theme). I will of course be posting pictures, the first of which I hope will be very soon once I secure both beginnings, and although neither from my understanding could be remotely called basket cases but will require substantial with too get then to where I want them. Please at any time feel free to endow me with any knowledge you feel may help me to finish either projects and I hope none will be too upset with me if on occasion I pester you members with questions in that same attempt. Again thank you guys for welcoming me into the fold. It's it seems to take me longer than it should I'm at an apartment and working on these in the parking lot isn't allowed so it seems I'm destined to have to trailer one or the other back and forth80 miles to a friend who will allow me to work on but not keep the bikes at his home so even though I'm retired commuting send to be in my future and with a trailer to boot which I'll also have to acquire if in to accomplish anything.

Comment

Working...
                X