Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha Back Rest W/Zipper Pouch & Thumbscrew Stop Clip

XS11 Guys,
    I'm looking for a decent back rest cushion. The one with the zipper pouch or one of the same size/dimensions without that. I don't really need the pouch I have plenty of on-bike storage.

The one on my bike is done for.
    I would take it to an upholstery shop but that's gonna take too long. I would like to have it replaced before XSSE (<3Weeks).

I'm also missing one of the slide stopper thumb screws and the associated stop clip. It obviously rusted or broken off and was lost by the PO of the rack. I can TIG a new threaded pin on the bar and probably fab the stopper clip with some spring steel but the OEM parts would be nicer. If you have a non-repairable rusty ole rack that has no chance of finding its way back on an XS I'd like to have those small pieces. I don't want to damage or sacrifice a useable vintage rack system.

PM with price if you have one in good shape.

Thanks,
    KURT
    Kurt Boehringer
    Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
    1978 - SR500 - Thumper
    1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
    1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
    1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
    1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
    1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
    1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
    1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
    1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
    1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
    1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
    2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Absolute hijack Kurt, sorry. I've got said backrest with aforementioned thumbscrews and brakes. I unfortunately don't want to part ways with them, but you seem knowledgable. Everything I have seems serviceable BUT I can not for the life of me get the slides to clamp down well enough to stay put. Any tips? I don't want to drill detent holes where I will most likely utilize the rest, but I can't think of any way else to truly secure the backrest. Sorry for the hijack....
    79 F

Comment

Plastic Insert Guides?

Originally posted by Dbshea View Post
      Any tips?..
      Dbshea,
      I HAD a similar problem when I first installed this rack w/adjustable back rest.

There is supposed to be a plastic guide/washer/insert in the tubes on the rack. Originally, mine did not have those, they were missing. As a result, the locking/hold thingy would push the slider up but there us nothing to hold it from going too far. Basically, the adjustable guide rods were really sloppy in the base rack without the plastic guide inserts. I replaced them with those from a worthless rusty garbage rack.

Now, the stop/retainer works very well (on the side I have one). The other side still moves in/out since there is no retainer/brake on that side.

Your rack system MAY have a similar issue. Check for the plastic guides!

I will fabricate a replacement retainer/brake and I can get a thumb screw from McMaster-Carr or just make one on the lathe.

I was hopeful someone either knew of a retailer selling a comparable replacement pad or had one for sale..... Still hopeful but these may be Hens Teeth or made of Unobtainium.

KURT
      Kurt Boehringer
      Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Originally posted by kboehringer View Post
        Dbshea,
        I HAD a similar problem when I first installed this rack w/adjustable back rest.

There is supposed to be a plastic guide/washer/insert in the tubes on the rack. Originally, mine did not have those, they were missing. As a result, the locking/hold thingy would push the slider up but there us nothing to hold it from going too far. Basically, the adjustable guide rods were really sloppy in the base rack without the plastic guide inserts. I replaced them with those from a worthless rusty garbage rack.

Now, the stop/retainer works very well (on the side I have one). The other side still moves in/out since there is no retainer/brake on that side.

Your rack system MAY have a similar issue. Check for the plastic guides!

I will fabricate a replacement retainer/brake and I can get a thumb screw from McMaster-Carr or just make one on the lathe.

I was hopeful someone either knew of a retailer selling a comparable replacement pad or had one for sale..... Still hopeful but these may be Hens Teeth or made of Unobtainium.

KURT
        Thanks Kurt! I know in the end of the luggage rack tubes there are black inserts, I'll have to do a little more in depth investigation!
        79 F

Comment

So I've got the guides in the mouth of the rack, but they stop short of the brakes the thumbscrew applies. Seems I'll need a friction enhancer in that region because right now it's just the metal brake on the chrome rail for the backrest
          79 F

Comment

So I've got the guides in the mouth of the rack, but they stop short of the brakes the thumbscrew applies. Seems I'll need a friction enhancer in that region because right now it's just the metal brake on the chrome rail for the backrest
            Nothing on the adjustable rail portion, just the black plastic insert on both sides of rack portion. Least that's the way mine came new on my bought new Venturer.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
              Nothing on the adjustable rail portion, just the black plastic insert on both sides of rack portion. Least that's the way mine came new on my bought new Venturer.
              Harrumph. Wonder what the issue is then...on another hijack side track, what are the lengths of the legs that slide in? Mine appear to have been half hazardly shortened (unless the factory doesn't deburr ugly uneven edges)
              I could see this being done to increase 2up riding space, but there's no chance that rest is of any use to me as the driver.
              79 F

Comment

Length of legs

what are the lengths of the legs that slide in? Mine appear to have been half hazardly shortened.
                Dbshea,
                The inserting legs are 13" in total length on my backrest. Mine don't appear to have been modified in anyway.

When I drive to work, I have to carry my Laptop in a backpack as it's too big to fit in the saddle bag. On this SG, I adjust the backrest up a bit and "Trap" my backpack between me and the back rest. Makes it feel much more secure taking turns at a "Spirited" pace to/from work.

Don't worry about hi-jacking a thread. Guys here are not the jerky type you might find in other on-line communities. If you can some help you need jumping in, do it! Besides, I don't think anyone is going to find a decent backrest to offer up for sale to me anyway. Mine will end up in the upholstery shop after the XSSE / Vintage Yamaha Rally '16.

Kurt
                Kurt Boehringer
                Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

I have this backrest and zipped pouch..I never use it...you should have mentioned it when i was down there...we could have swapped...we could at the rally if you want it...looks like a couple of screws and the cushion piece unbolts from the sissy bar...yours for the asking...
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Looking at mine and theres nothing thats adjustable so not sure what will work...
                    1980 XS650G Special-Two
                    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Very Nice Gesture....BUT..

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                      I have this backrest and zipped pouch.....I never use it......yours for the asking...
                      Ben,
                      Thank you! That's an extremely nice gesture and although they are the same back rest pad I can NOT accept that exchange.

Your "Swamper" is a pretty nice looking machine and I had a little part in helping improve her looks a little tiny bit Removing that pretty and flawless NOS backrest from a good looking machine and exchanging it for the broken zipper, ripped and tearing, POS from my "Mayberry" does not make good sense. Generous YES, smart NO.

There is a NOS item on evil-bay but it's just far too much $$$$. I still may be able to find one in "DECENT" shape that has been removed from a Boober or Café Project. When the Vintage Yamaha Rally - XSSE '16 concludes, I'll find a local upholstery guy that can repair the one I have.....

Thanks again for the gesture....I Just can't put a POS like mine on the "Swamper".

Sincerely,
                      KURT
                      Kurt Boehringer
                      Peachtree City, Georgia

1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                      1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                      1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis

Comment

Yeah well...I am not concerned with how it looks...i usually have my helmet hang there when I am off the bike...but hey if you want to spend money go right ahead.. Cant wait to see y'all
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                        X