WTB valve shims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB valve shims

Working on the donor motor for the bagger. Called local first and had to explain to two shops what valve shims were. Needless to say, I'm still looking.

I need : 255, (2) 260, 280, 285, 290.

I'm going to continue the hunt locally but will gladly relieve an XS'er of their shim stock!
    79 F

290 shim

Hi Dbshea,
    I have a couple of 290 shims that I'll exchange for whatever you are swapping them out with if that helps.
    Bob's Bikes:
    79SF, Military theme.

Bob's websites:
    https://projectxs11.wordpress.com
    https://rucksackgrunt.com

Bob's Books:
    "
    Project XS11"
    "Rucksack Grunt"
    "Small Unit Leadership"
    "Beatrice B. Goode"

Bob's Parts:
    For Sale Here.

Comment

Thanks

I appreciate it, turns out I was able to find a shop that still did the swap. Between their stockpile and Don from this forum I'll be back in spec!
      79 F

Comment

If u have to explain to a shop what valve shims are, waste not another word, turn around and leave. Seriously. They're used in engines old and new. Whether under or over the bucket.
        1979 XS1100F
        2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by IanDMacDonald View Post
          If u have to explain to a shop what valve shims are, waste not another word, turn around and leave. Seriously. They're used in engines old and new. Whether under or over the bucket.
          I've become increasingly frustrated with the local shops here. Years and years ago I worked at a motorcycle shop and the knowledge was incredible. With the advent of technology, cats these days aren't required to know anything. I really want to support my local shops but nearly every single time I need something, I either get a blank stare or "oh, we don't keep parts like that in stock (and I'm not talking about valve shims, I've been left wanting in such trivial searches as inline 1/4" fuel filters!!) but we can order it for you". I CAN ORDER IT FOR ME! I'm trying to help keep your lights on, but if all you're gonna do is type the same parts number into a parts unlimited search engine, I'll gladly do it from home in my underwear.

Bike shops are just dealers now.
          79 F

Comment

I agree 100 %. Dealers no-longer stock parts. I buy online now. Only thing I don't is stuff I want today, and I get great discounts.
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Working...
            X