Need a Right side cover for a 80G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a Right side cover for a 80G

So the right side cover fell off somewhere.... Anybody have an extra for an 80 or 81 Standard?
    80 G

Let me check. 80-81 uses round posts?
    79 F

Comment

Round is on the left side, the right side is slotted
      80 G

Comment

The 1980 SG uses round posts for the upper side panel cover mounts on both right and left side, the 1979 SF uses slotted/rectangular shaped mounts and the two years are not interchangeable.

Comment

OK, let's sort this out ...

The OP is looking for the right sidecover for a 1980G, a Standard.

Any of the following right sidecovers will fit perfectly:

1980 G
          1981 H
          1979 SF (The shape and size of the SF right cover is identical to the G and H right covers, including the slots; the only difference is the emblem)
          Last edited by Prisoner6; 08-06-2016, 04:52 PM.
          Marco

Current bikes:
          1979 Yamaha XS Eleven Special (SF)
          1979 Honda CBX
          2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

Rest in Peace, Don Glardon (DGXSER) 1966-2014
          WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Originally posted by Prisoner6 View Post
            OK, let's sort this out ...

The OP is looking for the right sidecover for a 1980G, a Standard.

Any of the following right sidecovers will fit perfectly:

1980 G
            1981 H
            1979 SF (The shape and size of the SF right cover is identical to the G and H right covers, including the slots; the only difference is the emblem)
            So for a guy looking at a pile of side covers, it needs to be tapered to the rear and slotted or post mount?
            79 F

Comment

Originally posted by Dbshea View Post
              So for a guy looking at a pile of side covers, it needs to be tapered to the rear and slotted or post mount?
              In order to fit a G with no mods ...

Yes, the right cover needs to have a slight downward taper toward the rear.

And, it should have mounting slots, not the round holes.

Another way to identify a SF/G/H right side cover is the extra reveal line extending around the sides and bottom.

And, of course, if you see any sidecovers in your pile with a tab on top, those won't fit the G.

They only fit the 78-79 Standards. And they don't have the taper or the extra reveal line anyway.

Hope that helps ...
              Last edited by Prisoner6; 08-06-2016, 11:32 PM.
              Marco

Current bikes:
              1979 Honda CBX
              2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Originally posted by Prisoner6 View Post
                In order to fit a G with no mods ...

Yes, the right cover needs to have a slight downward taper toward the rear.

And, it should have mounting slots, not the round holes.

Another way to identify a SF/G/H right side cover is the extra reveal line extending around the sides and bottom.
                Sorry, meant to include a pic in my last post.

Here it is (this is an SF right sidecover):

And, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, G and H right side covers will be identical to this, except for the emblem.
                Marco

Current bikes:
                1979 Honda CBX
                2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

WE MISS YOU, DON

Comment

Pm

I sent you a PM that I would check. I do have one if you are still looking.
                  1980 XS1100SG "Black Mamba" 28K
                  1979 XS1100F 33k (Current Project)
                  1981 XS1100H "Blue Balls" (Crashed and under repair )

1978 XS1100E "Partsy"

Work Hard, Play Harder!

Comment

If you find one, do yourself a favor, and buy one of these, http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...%20Numbers%207, since the covers are getting harder to come by, and nobody seems to turn the found ones in to the lost and found.
                    I bought two at the local Yamaha dealer, so it is still a stocked item.

CZ

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                      If you find one, do yourself a favor, and buy one of these, http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...%20Numbers%207, since the covers are getting harder to come by, and nobody seems to turn the found ones in to the lost and found.
                      I bought two at the local Yamaha dealer, so it is still a stocked item.

CZ
                      .....be doin' yourself a REAL favor.......any aftermarket style grommet guarantee won't last at all .........and say bye-bye to an additional lost sidecover!
                      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptonZap View Post
                        If you find one, do yourself a favor, and buy one of these, [url]http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/yamaha/Y-90480-01401-00.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaig n=Yamaha%20Part%20Numbers&utm_term=90480-01401-00&utm_content=Yamaha%20Part%20Numbers%207[/url
                        CZ
                        Thanks! I did pick up a grommet at the hardware store before I lost the cover.. I bought a cover on evilbay and added some heat shrink the post so it doesn't come off as easy.
                        80 G

Comment

Working...
                        X