Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB 78-79 side covers

Need a set in good condition. Thanks!

Is there a difference between special and standard side covers, besides the badge? I have a special.
    Rob - 79 SF

Originally posted by mrhammer2u View Post
    Need a set in good condition. Thanks!

Is there a difference between special and standard side covers, besides the badge? I have a special.
    Yup.........and IIRC, the 79Special had several sutle differences, underside of seat base, at sidecovers mounting, etc. that made cosmetics year specific kinda like the 81 Venturer.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

If you search the tjreads, Steve has donwrote some great interchange guides between models. Specials are much easier to find covers for. The SF had different covers than the SG. Any cover can be adapted to any bike if you have the means.
      1979 XS1100F
      2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

I'm doing an aftermarket cafe seat, so seat fitment should be an issue. I just want to make sure all the connections line up.

Are you saying the 78-79 special covers will fit on a standard? I am seeing a lot more special covers.
        Rob - 79 SF

Comment

If you have an XS1100SF, you need SF side covers if you don't want to modify the tabs on the frame. The 1979 Special doesn't share seat, sidecovers, etc. with the later Specials. Just hold out for the '79 covers. There was no Eleven Special in 1978.
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Hey Jet. I have a standard I'm working on. So just to be clear,...it seems the special covers will not line up with all the mount holes?
            Rob - 79 SF

Comment

I have a special.
              Hey Jet. I have a standard I'm working on.

Your signature states you have a Special. Do you have a Standard or Special?
              Last edited by IanDMacDonald; 01-28-2015, 07:11 PM.
              1979 XS1100F
              2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Special covers won't fit a standard.
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

My personal is a special. The one I just bought and working on is a standard. Sorry for the confusion. Can't figure out how to edit my signature.
                  Rob - 79 SF

Comment

"78 & '79 standard side covers are the same. If you're working on one of those bikes, that's what you need.

Here's a helpful link: http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36552
                    Marty (in Mississippi)
                    XS1100SG
                    XS650SK
                    XS650SH
                    XS650G
                    XS6502F
                    XS650E

Comment

Thanks for link. Bookmarked.
                      Rob - 79 SF

Comment

My personal is a special. The one I just bought and working on is a standard. Sorry for the confusion. Can't figure out how to edit my signature.
                        Hey Hammer- Click-on the "User CP" (Control Panel) to the left of "FAQ" in the blue banner above (far left), and you may edit your profile.
                        1979 XS1100F

Comment

Working...
                        X