4RO TDI Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4RO TDI Box

Hi, I'm newer to this and have "hanging around for about 4 monthes. I picked up a 81 Venturer, and it is "really in pretty nice shape". I'm a man of many Projects and a pizza business to run too and a young family. Anyway, here is my short story,
    No spark, Dyna coils, switched leads, Both Coils In check they both spark. I have No spark coming from one coil.....But I know its not the coils...cause swapping leads rules that out. So dug deeper....Broken Wire, Yes!! I have that and I have now fixed that...son of a gun NO spark still. Off to e-bay, some guy sells me a box 4ro box (know that is special to this year). Still no spark!!! I'm thinking it must be a Pick up coil? I had one go out in my 77 firebird?! fixed that runs like a champ. Anyway would like to purchase from somebody Honest a 4 RO TDI box that FOR SURE works and a pick up coil and maybe the wiring that runs from the pick up to the harness.
    Make sense? Am I out of line? Thanks for your time, I cant wait to get this beast on the road...Now next spring... Also I have front brakes locked up, but I read about that fix....I'll worry about that soon enough. I did make some progress, I took apart the handle bar switch and polished up the start button, so I got that working. Great site BTW!

-Mike
    81 H Venturer

Mike, somewhere on here there's pics of the different TCIs.
    You can open it up and see the differences pretty clearly.
    So if you're wondering if the TCI you got off ebay is indeed a 4RO, then that visual inspection may tell you.

My thought on your problem is the pick up coil wires. They are notorious for failure and they'll cause a loss of spark. At the TCI you can check continuity (about 720ohms) from wire to wire, but that'll tell you only half the story.
    As they flex (when the vac advance rotates) they could open up then too.

Best to pull the timing cover off tug/stretch the wires and see if they are broken internally. the insulation will stretch thin as you pull the broken copper parts apart. There's a tech tip showing pics of this.
    Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
    The Green Monster
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
    Got him in '04.
    bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
    Scarlet
    K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
    Got her in '11
    Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
    Hugo
    Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
    Cold weather ride

Comment

Originally posted by GLoweVA View Post
      Mike, somewhere on here there's pics of the different TCIs.
      You can open it up and see the differences pretty clearly.
      So if you're wondering if the TCI you got off ebay is indeed a 4RO, then that visual inspection may tell you.

My thought on your problem is the pick up coil wires. They are notorious for failure and they'll cause a loss of spark. At the TCI you can check continuity (about 720ohms) from wire to wire, but that'll tell you only half the story.
      As they flex (when the vac advance rotates) they could open up then too.

Best to pull the timing cover off tug/stretch the wires and see if they are broken internally. the insulation will stretch thin as you pull the broken copper parts apart. There's a tech tip showing pics of this.

Thanks Glowe,
      Yea, I read the article on here about the broken wires, And I did find a broken wire and soldered it, but still no spark on two of cylinders. so then I started unwrapping the wires around where they clamped in. pulling and tugging to look for another break...I think I only had one break.(or out)if you prefer. Which leads me to think it must be a pickup coil. A while back I ohmed to the TDI box and I thought I had around 700 if memory serves me correct..So thats why I thought it was Box, so I bought another 4RO box.(this one was a 100.00 bucks and externally in way worse condition then the original) But I got curious and had to know what the inside of one looked like and broke the board in my original box...(they dont come apart too easy).
      I Wonder If I'd be better to change ignitions systems to that of a previous year? I see there are many more TDI's for sale on Ebay and even pick up coils? The previous owner of this bike, really stuck some time into it with cosmetic inhancements, its really an awesome bike, I just have to make it run on all 4!! Too me I'd go as far as swapping Engines if I had too. But I really think it has to be this ignition. Wonder why Yamaha chose such a strange ignition? I thought the old 750's ran just fine with their dual points and No fancy box's....

Like I said, I'd be willing to buy a complete setup, if someone has one they they'd like to part with.

-Mike
      81 H Venturer

Comment

I sent you a pm. Call me, have all the stock 4ro ignition parts you need, 1 250 495 3445, thanx andreas

Comment

Andreas here (post right above me) is our parts guy. Good guy!
          Nathan
          KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
          K&N Filter
          #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
          OEM Exhaust
          ATK Fork Brace
          LED Dash lights
          Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
          SS Brake Lines
          Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I found the thread I was thinking about.
            Check this out:
            http://www.xs11.com/forum/showpost.p...0&postcount=32
            Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
            The Green Monster
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
            Got him in '04.
            bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
            Scarlet
            K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
            Got her in '11
            Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
            Hugo
            Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
            Cold weather ride

Comment

Thanks Guys,

That diagram of the 2h7 and 4ro are amazing!
              My gut feeling is a pick up coil is out, so Andreas reached out and I'm gonna purchase a pick up coil and 4ro box. I then will investigate. I'll let you folks know what I come up with in week or 2. Thanks for your help fella's.

-Mike
              81 H Venturer

Comment

4r0 tdi

Greetings Pizzaboy! I have a good working pull (4R0 TDI) from a 1981 H Series, and a nice set of coils with new NGK plug boots. One coil is new old stock and the other is the original from the bike. Both primary and secondary test within range and work fine.

Kevin

k.jordan61@comcast.net

Originally posted by Pizzaboy View Post
                Hi, I'm newer to this and have "hanging around for about 4 monthes. I picked up a 81 Venturer, and it is "really in pretty nice shape". I'm a man of many Projects and a pizza business to run too and a young family. Anyway, here is my short story,
                No spark, Dyna coils, switched leads, Both Coils In check they both spark. I have No spark coming from one coil.....But I know its not the coils...cause swapping leads rules that out. So dug deeper....Broken Wire, Yes!! I have that and I have now fixed that...son of a gun NO spark still. Off to e-bay, some guy sells me a box 4ro box (know that is special to this year). Still no spark!!! I'm thinking it must be a Pick up coil? I had one go out in my 77 firebird?! fixed that runs like a champ. Anyway would like to purchase from somebody Honest a 4 RO TDI box that FOR SURE works and a pick up coil and maybe the wiring that runs from the pick up to the harness.
                Make sense? Am I out of line? Thanks for your time, I cant wait to get this beast on the road...Now next spring... Also I have front brakes locked up, but I read about that fix....I'll worry about that soon enough. I did make some progress, I took apart the handle bar switch and polished up the start button, so I got that working. Great site BTW!

-Mike
                KJ

Comment

Originally posted by pcmcse1 View Post
                  and a nice set of coils with new NGK plug boots. One coil is new old stock and the other is the original from the bike. Both primary and secondary test within range and work fine.

Kevin

k.jordan61@comcast.net

Guess you found those coils eh?
                  Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Working...
                  X