xs1100 venturer starter needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs1100 venturer starter needed

I am looking for a 81 xs1100 starter or a rebuild kit because my starter just died on me.

Originally posted by DCracer25 View Post
    I am looking for a 81 xs1100 starter or a rebuild kit because my starter just died on me.
    Hi DCracer,
    Can you describe the death of this starter? If it worked and suddenly stopped I would suspect : Bad electrical connections or faulty switch. If it spins and does not engage ,but used to. Suspect Synthetic Oil.

Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

starter

Ok I went to start it and it turn over once then nothing, but can hear starter relay clicking. and before you ask the battery is brand new and fully charged. And I was able to push start it.

Comment

Ok I went to start it and it turn over once then nothing, but can hear starter relay clicking. and before you ask the battery is brand new and fully charged. And I was able to push start it.
        Gots a bad connection at the starter relay or relay contacts inside have arced enough over the years they need cleaned up. A bad wire connection or weak ground(and you got several on the bike) with cause relay to do same thing. BTW, the starter itself is fine, IMO.
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Take the right side cover off and locate the starter solenoid. Put the shifter in neutral. Leave the ignition off.
          Take a piece of steel, copper, or brass, and short across the two big terminals with the heavy wires attached to them. DO NOT use your SnapOn ratchet wrench handle. A Harbor Fright one will work, but will not survive the experience unscathed. An old Phillips head screwdriver is ideal.
          If the starter turns over, it is good, if it doesn't, the brushes may be bad, or the windings opened up. Internal inspection would reveal the former, an ohm check would give clues to the latter.
          Updates appreciated.
          If either of these two methods are not in your knowledge base, say so, and the processes will be explained by the practitioners of such arcane arts.

CZ
          Last edited by CaptonZap; 10-16-2013, 07:31 PM.

Comment

starter

Will check it out but may be a couple of days before I can, My favorite Aunt just went to the hospital with a stroke and had to have surgery to remove a clot from her brain. So it is touch and go for her and I am staying with her as much as I can.

Comment

Starter

First of all thank you for all who replied. I found the problem, it was a rusted wire end on the relay. I changed the end with a new solder on end and it works fine now. Also had the starter out and apart and cleaned it. Looks like someone before me rebuilt the starter it had new brushes and gears in it.

Comment

First of all thank you for all who replied. I found the problem, it was a rusted wire end on the relay. I changed the end with a new solder on end and it works fine now. Also had the starter out and apart and cleaned it. Looks like someone before me rebuilt the starter it had new brushes and gears in it.
                Thanks for letting us know.
                The Army Signal Corps training stressed the axiom, "A good visual inspection should always be the first trouble shooting step".
                Timeless advice.
                I think of all the time I've wasted chasing down an analytic rabbit hole, only to find the problem was in plain site all the time.

CZ

Comment

Working...
                X