Looking for ignition switch with key and side cover lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for ignition switch with key and side cover lock

Looking for an ignition switch with its key, side cover lock and key. Could be from two different bikes but would need to have the working keys.

I left the key in the ignition so that i wouldnt lose it but forgot to remove it before I flipped the bike for transmission repairs. It broke the key and messed up the switch.
    1979 XS1100 Special. Nicely modified.
    1977 KZ1000 needs everything!
    1971 CB750 Nice Restomod Completed
    1972 CB750 Got it going after 30 years. Getting turned into a old school bobber. Working on a title.

SOLD-1981 XS1100H What got me on this site.
    1980ish virago 535. Room mate left it for rent money. lol.
    1980 XS850 almost stock 20k miles.
    1979 XS750 Parts bike no title.
    1979 XS750 Cafe running,someone else can enjoy it.
    RIP-1980 XS850

If your interested, I have a side cover lock laying around here that I do not have the key to. But, I did pull all the tumblers out of it, so any key will turn it. Yours for the asking. I also have a key switch, but again, no key to it. However, a good lock smith could key it to match the numbers on your old lock and even cut you a key for it.

Keep in mind on the switches, the 78-79 models had a 3 wire key switch, the 80-81 had a four wire key switch. However, the innerds are pretty much the same so you can swap the three wire internals with the four wire internals.
    Last edited by DGXSER; 05-19-2013, 08:32 PM.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Charles, I'll try to look thru my laundry room/bike parts storage locker and see If I have have an ignition switch.
      Many years ago, I had a local locksmith off little creek road cut me a key from the 4 digit number off the ignition switch. Still works like a charm.
      But, like others have said, you can remove the tumblers from the lock and any key will work.
      Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
      The Green Monster
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
      Got him in '04.
      bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
      Scarlet
      K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
      Got her in '11
      Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
      Hugo
      Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
      Cold weather ride

Comment

Got one!

Here's a pic:

Not pretty, but it works! I did have it on my G a while back.
        It's been sitting in a box with greasy parts, so it's really messy, but should clean up with some wd-40 easy enough.

I'll put it a plastic bag and bring it by your house Tues after work. You can see my SG then.

The Green Monster
        K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
        Got him in '04.

Scarlet
        Got her in '11
        Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
        Cold weather ride

Comment

How are you doing?

Charles, Now that you've got your bike right side up, and the new(er) ignition switch from me, have you thought about the gas cap?
          If you haven't gone the locksmith route yet..... then,
          I've been thinking about how your 750/850 keys wouldn't fit and tried some things out on my 2 bikes.
          First thing I noticed was that the SG and G keys had different slot configurations.
          Sorry for the fuzzy pic, but you can see that the slots are in different sides of the keys and thus they wouldn't fit in the other's lock at all.

One key is a 4000 series and the other is a 3000 series, so that could be why your other keys wouldn't work.
          The 4 digit code is what the locksmith uses to cut the 4 notches into the blank for the key to work with all 4 tumblers.
          As others here have said, the gas cap and side cover and helmet locks use fewer tumblers.
          Here's a pic showing how (not) deep the key goes into the gas cap.
          My thumb is how deep the key went into the ignition switch.

Here's a pic inside of the gas cap showing the lock mechanism.

Here's a pic with the key in it and turned:

So, I guess the first thing we need to do is find a key that slides in, then we can hope that it turns the gas cap lock to get it open then we can pull the tumblers out and then any key will work.
          I'd hate to have to tear into your gas cap to get the thing open. Even though that is an option, I think we can drill out the lock and then just replace the lock part with another lock with the right (or none) tumblers.

The Green Monster
          Got him in '04.

Scarlet
          Got her in '11
          Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
          Cold weather ride

Comment

thanks to everyone.

Just want to say thank again for the switch. and the info on how to pull the tumblers out of the side cover

I got the switch swapped over a few days ago. Ive been makeing some progress but I will put that in my other post.

As for the tank, I got what is left of the broken original key out of the busted ignition and I have it in my tank with a little bit sticking out. lol. Its not right but it will work for now. lol.
            1979 XS1100 Special. Nicely modified.
            1977 KZ1000 needs everything!
            1971 CB750 Nice Restomod Completed
            1972 CB750 Got it going after 30 years. Getting turned into a old school bobber. Working on a title.

SOLD-1981 XS1100H What got me on this site.
            1980ish virago 535. Room mate left it for rent money. lol.
            1980 XS850 almost stock 20k miles.
            1979 XS750 Parts bike no title.
            1979 XS750 Cafe running,someone else can enjoy it.
            RIP-1980 XS850

Comment

Originally posted by cpmaynard1980 View Post
              Just want to say thank again for the switch. and the info on how to pull the tumblers out of the side cover

I got the switch swapped over a few days ago. Ive been makeing some progress but I will put that in my other post.

As for the tank, I got what is left of the broken original key out of the busted ignition and I have it in my tank with a little bit sticking out. lol. Its not right but it will work for now. lol.
              If you can get the cap to open, then you can pull the tumblers out of the lock and any key should work in the tank cap then. (I think that's what I read here somewhere)
              Just unscrew the 2 phillips and pull the lock mechanism apart:

The Green Monster
              Got him in '04.

Scarlet
              Got her in '11
              Ready for the twisties!

Hugo
              Cold weather ride

Comment

Yep, any lock can be "neutralized" so to speak, meaning made to work with any key that will fit into the slot, even a screwdriver. On the gas cap, you can remove the two screws holding the lock in place, pay attention to how the actual locking piece and the spring and such are oriented. If you look at the lock, there is a tab, similar to the one on the key switch tumbler, or the side cover lock tumbler, that you push in and the cylinder will then come out the top. Just like before, remove the tabs and springs, and you have a "neutral" lock.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                X