Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kickstart lever

Hey all,

I am looking for a kickstart lever for 1979 XS11 special. The guy I bought the bike from said there was never a lever on this bike since he has owned it. He bought it from the original owner. It apparently got lost through the years. I think it is such a cool feature that I have to put it back on the bike. If anyone has one for sale or knows where I can get one please let me know. Thanks in advance. Take care all.
    Rich (Ringo)
    '79 XS11 Special
    '02 VTX1800C (I know not a Yama but still mine)

The stock kickstart lever doesn't stay on the engine. It stores under the toolbox area IIRC from others posts not having had a 78 or 79 myself and 80 and later not having the kickstart feature on the engine at all. If you want a kickstart that will stay on the engine you want the lever from you want the lever from a 650 or 750 if I remember right, as the 1100 lever is an emergency use lever that doesn't fold up.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Just to be sure, from the factory the lever is not installed, it is underneath around the air box area I believe. You may want to verify yours is not there.

They were not designed to stay on during use as they do not fold flat. Some folks have used one from an XS850 which does fold flat.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

My original is still there. It stores underneath the battery. Look on the right side of the bike for a wingnut facing forward, just above and behind the shaft nub...that wingnut and the cap it secures are what hold the lever in it's place.
        My Special is as old as I am.

Comment

Also note: the kickstart lever on these bikes does NOT fold back. It's more of an emergency-use device, not something you leave in place and use day to day (unless of course you can't afford to replace a bad starter.) >.<
          My Special is as old as I am.

Comment

kicker

If you don't have a kick lever, PM me. I have an assortment of them.

I have the factory type, in either chrome or black, as well as kickers you can permanently install if you want that cool old school look.

The original blends with the frame, so, look for the wing nut under the battery, on the lower frame, & facing forward, as prevoiusly suggested. It might be there!
            Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
            stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

So I checked the bike and there is no lever tucked away on the frame. So I am going to need to get another lever. Now if I use the lever from a smaller model, that can stay on the bike, do I need to change the gears or anything to do with this piece? Thanks guys.
              Rich (Ringo)
              '79 XS11 Special
              '02 VTX1800C (I know not a Yama but still mine)

Comment

No, Rich, you don't need to change any gears or anything else. You may have to think a bit about how to hold the lever on the shaft. Since the XS11 shaft doesn't have the relief for the pinch bolt. (Think brake lever shaft). So the stock pinch bolt on the kick lever won't fit. I originally used a smaller diameter bolt to clear the shaft, but I had trouble keeping the lever on the shaft, it would loosen and wiggle and try to get away. Almost did once.

My final solution was to drill & tap the kick lever clamp and install a 6mm set screw to grab the dimple in the shaft (the flat part has a dimple for the stock spring\ball thingy). Works great now.
                Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

"the flat part has a dimple for the stock spring\ball thingy"
                  The depths of your knowledge and ingenuity always amaze me. I bow down at your technical expertise
                  "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                  1981 LH

Comment

At Least

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
                    The depths of your knowledge and ingenuity always amaze me. I bow down at your technical expertise
                    At least he didn't refer to it as a do-hickey
                    I have always been leery of things with that name
                    Current Rides:
                    02 GL1800 Wing
                    79 XS1100SF Sold 10-15-12
                    81 XS1100H Venturer Sold 10-27-12

Comment

permanent kicker

You just have to grind al little cut into you kicker shaft for the pinch bolt to fit 7& work. Just make sure the kicker is where you want it, stick a marker down the pinch bolt hole,, take off the kicker & cut the shaft to clear the bolt. easy. I've never used one on a bike with airbox. check clearance if you have airbox.
                      I've got several folding chrome kickers that'll work. PM if interested.
                      Good luck. Tom
                      Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                      stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Originally posted by dpotter58 View Post
                        HEY, my expertise was good enough to get YOUR P.O.S. running right Duwayne, how ya been, pal?
                        Former owner, but I have NO PARTS LEFT!

Comment

Originally posted by DAVINCI View Post
                          HEY, my expertise was good enough to get YOUR P.O.S. running right Duwayne, how ya been, pal?
                          As I said, I bow down to your expertise... It's all good my friend
                          "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                          1981 LH

Comment

Kicker

I got this one on ebayer for next to nothing. A kicker from a xs750 or 850 will bolt right on, just be sure not to push it on the post so far that it drags accross your exhaust when you kick it......xs650's may work too.
                            79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                            80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                            80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                            79 DT 100

Comment

Working...
                            X