Looking for new valve shims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for new valve shims

Just completed a new valve job. Looking for the following shims. Must be new and unused...

Need three 2.50's, two 2.55's, two 2.60's, and one 2.65

Thanks

If you insist on new unused (which I've not heard of anyone doing as the shims pretty much do not wear at all, the wear is all at the valve surface and maybe cam lobe), then you need to go to the Yamaha dealer or possibly Kawasaki dealer (they are 29mm shims, just be careful not to let them give you 29.5mm which visually look the same, even next to each other), or even some Ford dealers as the Ford Taurus SHO engine uses the same shims as it's made by Yamaha. Or you could maybe order them from Bike Bandit or other online store, but for new unused you are pretty much talking about buying from a retailer, as anyone else is going to be trading used shims.

However, as I said, I'm not sure why you would need new unused shims since none of the other parts are unused I'm sure, since unless you happened on some hidden NOS new unused is for the most part non-existent (not in shims, but in pretty much all the rest of the valve train parts, I think you can sometimes still find new valves sometimes, but they are officially NLA as are all the other valve train parts from Yamaha, what IS left is stuff that is left in warehouses and just not sold yet).
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

There is a shim library that both Davinci and Wildkat have and they will trade shims, but they are used.

Don't see a need for new unless you absolutely can't find a size.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/pr...stockId=223095

Still would like to hear your reason as to why it must be new and unused.
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

When I did my valve job about two weeks ago, there was 56,000 miles on the bike, the valves were pretty darned tight, and I actually measured the shims that I took out just to see if there was any wear. My digital calipers, which are as accurate as you can get, measured them at exactly what the numbers said they were so obviously there was no wear. Whatever they are made from, they are harder than anyting else, including the camshaft lobes, which did show some signs of wear.
          Can't beat the smell of gas & oil

Comment

No need for new shims. Based on everyone's opinions, used but in good condition is fine to reuse. I can re-use the 265 I have by moving it, but I still need 2.50, 2.55, and 2.60.

Gonna check Cycle-Re-Cycle. Ron Ayers and yamahasportsplaza.com also carries them.

Thanks for ALL help, knowledge and opinions!

Comment

Working...
            X