Need Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help

I had a accident when winterizing bike,a back fire caused a fire alote of damage.
    My bike is a 1980XS 1100SG, NEED SOME PARTS.
    wire harness
    solenoid switch
    clutch and throttle cables
    both side covers
    ignition coils spark plugs wires
    pod air cleaners and box
    rubber intake tubes
    clamping screws and rubber boots
    crankcase breather and carburetor ventilation hoses from air cleaner box
    vacuum advance and hoses
    This is just some of what is need

That's some pretty extensive damage....

Some parts you'll only find in the used market (wiring harness, sidecovers, vacuum advance), most of the rest could be bought new or used. A few things not on your list: reserve lighting unit and voltage regulator. These are right above the carbs and may or may not come with a harness. Also the carbs; if the fire was bad enough to damage the intake boots, I'd be willing to bet the carbs were damaged too (maybe beyond repair).

If you're trying to save some $$ on repairs, finding a parts bike may be your best bet....

To post pics, you need to host them at a third-party site (like photobucket), then link them to here via the 'picture' icon in the posting toolbar.
    Last edited by crazy steve; 11-09-2011, 09:50 AM.
    Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
    '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
    '82 XJ rebuild project
    '80SG restified, red SOLD
    '79F parts...
    '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
    '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
    '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
    '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
    Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
    Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Bad day

I had a bad day like that with a 1972 sportster, Kick start only. Lit on fire in a payless parking lot. Guy came out and help me put it out. help me put it in my truck when my wife showed up with the truck. Bad days are what makes a true serviver. I will donate a cluch cabele and a throttle cable. Free pm me you adress.
      Cheack you carbs for leaks...
      Ron
      1980 midnight xs1100 Rebilt cosmetically
      1980 midnight xs850 bagger
      1980 Special xs1100 (all apart)
      1979 special Special runner
      2011 street glide

Comment

The same thing happened to my SG. Andreas should be able to help. In my case, though the carburetors were the source of the problem, they suffered no damage.

Check the U-joint boot. Vent hoses probably melted too. My fire was very brief, but the damage was extensive. Get a mirror and inspect from the bottom.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Burnt bike

A sad story indeed
          I was a dinner with Paul a couple months ago and he casually mentioned maybe getting a project bike to work on over the winter. So my wife speaks right up and says "we have one that we'll give you". She was referring to my stalled project Orphan bike that's been taking up space in my basement for a couple years. I was seeing if you ignored something long enough it would go away. It wasn't working. And I had lost all interest in working on it.
          So I said your welcome to it but even though I spent some money and time on it, it's still is gonna need more money and time. He was there to pick it up later that week. So I waved goodbye and thought that's it but I was wrong
          Several weeks later I find out Paul is in hospital with a pancreatic flare up and will be in for a few days. So I got to see him and bring him some reading material. Not just any reading material I bring him my Karla Jones signed copy of XS Eleven Heaven.
          Inthe middle of my visit I have a brain storm! Why dump a ton of money into a bike when I know where there's a built bike that's not being used
          My old pal DoninNH went and bought himself a yamaha raider and his XS is sitting in his shed.
          Here it is with mine in one of the calendars

They agree on a very fair price. And I facilitate the transfer and all is well.
          Paul called me last weekend to ask about winterizing so I tell what I do
          Then I get the call. Bike caught on fire while running. I surmise the cause was the ole fuel leaking into airbox problem
          Gary
          1100SH The Chosen one

Honda XR650L The Muddy one

Comment

Burnt bike

Paul was just able to pull his new bike out of shed before it was a total loss.
            Burnt his hand pretty bad also
            He's a great guy who had some bad luck
            I told him This is a good place to start to get his bike back to running status
            Another before photo

And another after

Goodluck Paul
            If you need anything don't hesitate to call
            Gary
            1100SH The Chosen one

Honda XR650L The Muddy one

Comment

Paul, I've got an 80SG that I'm fixing up too.
              There are some parts that I'm planning on replacing with newer ones.
              You are welcome to the older parts after I get them off.
              I'll keep you in mind for first dibs on anything I take off.

Those pics are pretty nasty. Good thing the gas in the tank didn't catch!
              Hi, my name is George & I'm a twisty addict!

80G (Green paint(PO idea))
              The Green Monster
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, '81 oil cooler, TC's homemade 4-2 w/Mac Mufflers, Raptor 660 ACCT
              Got him in '04.
              bald tire & borrowing parts

80SG (Black w/red emblems & calipers)
              Scarlet
              K&N A/F, TC's fuse block, WJ5, Shoei bags, Raptor 660 ACCT.
              Got her in '11
              Ready for the twisties!

81H (previously CPMaynard's)
              Hugo
              Full Venturer, Indigo Blue with B/W painted tank.
              Cold weather ride

Comment

i can do the
                solenoid switch
                spark plugs wires
                rubber intake tubes
                vacuum advance
                careful what you wish for.........you might get it

Comment

Parts

Paul,

Welcome to the most helpful group you'll find on the internet!

Just keep posting what you need as you go along. Most of us, myself included, have odd and end parts laying around that we'd just as soon give to a fellow site member than sell on eBay.
                  Don't hesitate to ask for ANYTHING. If you don't get it free from a fellow member, you'll at least get it far cheaper than anywhere else.

Good Luck and God Speed on bringing her back to life!
                  Current Stable:
                  1978 XS1100E - Beauty - Vetter Full Dress
                  1979 XS1100F - The Beast - Winter Project to Factory Full Dress
                  1979 XS1100SF - Black Sunshine - The Lucky Find
                  1978 XS1100E - Little Orphan Annie - Sold to a friend, slowly becoming a 1196 monster.
                  WTB:
                  1981 XS1100H Venturer - Long distance cruiser.
                  1989 FJ1200 - For playing in the curves!

Comment

I have an 80G that will never run again. A lot of the parts should swap over to the SG, but not all. It is fairly complete, but there is a couple of rods stuck out the side of the motor
                    2-79 XS1100 SF
                    2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                    80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                    Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Working...
                    X