Vetter Floating Trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetter Floating Trunk

I am looking for the 2 cross member pieces for the floating trunk mount for an XS1100 Standard.
    Or, if you have ones you don't want to sell, I sure could use the measurements to make my own.
    Current Stable:
    1978 XS1100E - Beauty - Vetter Full Dress
    1979 XS1100F - The Beast - Winter Project to Factory Full Dress
    1979 XS1100SF - Black Sunshine - The Lucky Find
    1978 XS1100E - Little Orphan Annie - Sold to a friend, slowly becoming a 1196 monster.
    WTB:
    1981 XS1100H Venturer - Long distance cruiser.
    1989 FJ1200 - For playing in the curves!

Will this help?

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/2626370840.html
    RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on that.
      I have the correct 2 side bag mounts and rear cross member for the XS11. I basically just need the pieces to mount the trunk. Not sure how close these would be to the correct ones for the XS but for the price I'll give it a shot.
      Current Stable:
      1978 XS1100E - Little Orphan Annie - Sold to a friend, slowly becoming a 1196 monster.
      WTB:

Comment

The parts that the trunk mounts on are the same for all models, it's the mounting points to the frame, which you don't need if you have the part for the bags already, so with what you have and that setup, that would get you set for the trunk, assuming you have the rubber isolators for the trunk already, if not, you can get them online, I got them from granger supply and they work just fine for far less than the set from Vetter.
        Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
        Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
        Vetter Windjammer IV
        Vetter hard bags & Trunk
        OEM Luggage Rack
        Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
        Spade Fuse Box
        Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
        750 FD Mod
        TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
        XJ1100 Front Footpegs
        XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

The flat chrome rack, adapter plate and isolators are the same.
          The cross member pieces, or struts as Vetter refers to them, are not all the same. The height varies as well as the angle of the holes in the top of them that are used to mount the flat chrome rack. Also, not all used 2 struts, some use a single strut in the back with the front of the flat chrome rack mounting directly to the rear grab bar, such as the older Gold Wings.

Examples:
          78 CB750 uses 2 uprights

GL1000 uses a rear upright with front mounting to grab bar
          Last edited by TheFrugalTech; 11-09-2011, 05:04 AM.
          Current Stable:
          WTB:

Comment

I think you'd be better off getting a real luggage rack and mounting the trunk to that. The Vetter rack isn't very sturdy. If you're trying for the authentic look, I understand, but if utility is what you're after, a frame-mounted rear rack is a much better option IMO.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
              I think you'd be better off getting a real luggage rack and mounting the trunk to that. The Vetter rack isn't very sturdy. If you're trying for the authentic look, I understand, but if utility is what you're after, a frame-mounted rear rack is a much better option IMO.
              The problem is that where the luggage rack mounts to doesn't really have the proper strength to carry the load. Where the Vetter mount fastens to does, but the rack itself is a bit flimsy, so my answer was to combine the two and use one part of the Vetter rack to reinforce the OEM rack and take the stress off the back of the frame and transfer it to the bag mounts. Gives me the best of both worlds.
              Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
              OEM Luggage Rack
              Spade Fuse Box
              750 FD Mod
              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Originally posted by cywelchjr View Post
                The problem is that where the luggage rack mounts to doesn't really have the proper strength to carry the load.
                I can't say I agree with you there. Maybe it depends on the model/year and the style of rack, but mine mounts to the rear grab-bar lugs, then to the grab bar itself via the tail light mounting holes. The bolts used to hold it to those 4 points are rather large. The trunk is only supposed to hold 20 lbs with the Vetter design, but I wouldn't hesitate to put 70-100 lbs on that rear rack.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                  I can't say I agree with you there. Maybe it depends on the model/year and the style of rack, but mine mounts to the rear grab-bar lugs, then to the grab bar itself via the tail light mounting holes. The bolts used to hold it to those 4 points are rather large. The trunk is only supposed to hold 20 lbs with the Vetter design, but I wouldn't hesitate to put 70-100 lbs on that rear rack.
                  I think you should check with all the guys who have had that part of the frame crack or break off. Those lugs are unsupported beyond the shock mounts, and even with fairly light loads on a rack back there are KNOWN for cracking and needing to be repaired. It's one of the known weaknesses of these frames, and not a good idea to load down that part of the frame, and Vetter's load limit is probably optimistic for that part of the frame, because with it hanging out there like that, the leverage amplify's it's affect on the frame out there. Before I actually tied the back together using part of the vetter frame, I could actually see the thing flex a little, but with the extra bracing the flex is gone, and if it can flex, eventually it's going to break.

BTW, I agree with you on how flimsy the vetter rack setup is, not vertically, it's strong that way, but it wobbles forward and back a lot and breaks the bolts off, again, it could probably be fixed by bracing it do it can't wobble with just a single cross brace.

You can go ahead an run yours the way you wish, but for mine, I've added the extra brace to take the stress off that frame section between the shocks and the rear mounting point for the luggage rack, and let me tell you, the thing is solid now.
                  Cy

Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  750 FD Mod
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

Comment

Working...
                  X