Looking for round style tachometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for round style tachometer

Anyone got one? The ones on eBay seem overpriced considering they are from junk yards so I could spend the cash and then still have a tach that doesn't work or bounces bad.
    1979 Special with 1980 motor and 1979 carbs

Originally posted by JeremyL View Post
    Anyone got one? The ones on eBay seem overpriced considering they are from junk yards so I could spend the cash and then still have a tach that doesn't work or bounces bad.
    No matter what you get it will still be 30ish years old and most likely you will not know if it works.
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
      No matter what you get it will still be 30ish years old and most likely you will not know if it works.
      ha, yeah good point.

I found one on eBay for like $25-30 and I guess I'll probably end up with that and trying it. I was just hoping a member here would pull one off a working bike instead of buying one that's maybe sat in a junkyard shed since 1983.

Comment

Mike's XS sells a round electronic tach. The redline is in the wrong place for the XS11, but perhaps you can find their source and acquire a correct one. Considering what you'll pay for a 30 year old unit, the price seems a bargain.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
          Mike's XS sells a round electronic tach. The redline is in the wrong place for the XS11, but perhaps you can find their source and acquire a correct one. Considering what you'll pay for a 30 year old unit, the price seems a bargain.
          I didn't realize that! I just ordered a set of 4 plastic floats for my 79 just yesterday from Mikes XS too (my carbs had 3 metal and 1 plastic that didn't even fit right).

Is this one it?

Does it just connect to the 3 wire (brown/black/white) harness that my old tach uses?

Comment

That's the one. Redline will be 7500 for XS650. I expect wiring will be universal as the stock XS650 tach is cable driven.

Marty (in Seattle)
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post
              That's the one. Redline will be 7500 for XS650. I expect wiring will be universal as the stock XS650 tach is cable driven.

Marty (in Seattle)
              Well I thought it said that they were cable driven. So I guess this one would have to be wired to the coils or something right instead of from the stator?

Comment

Since the Mike's XS unit is electronic, I expect it will mate to the XS11 wiring without too much difficulty.

Marty (in Seattle)
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Awesome!

I was looking at the $25 tach on eBay and it doesn't have any wires coming out of it so I emailed the seller and asked if it was just tucked inside or missing. The next cheapest tach on there is $65 and has all the wires but its pretty faded so I'm scared its in rough shape...

So for $2 more I can get the MikesXS tach BRAND New. The redline thing wouldn't bother me too bad. I'm slow on my reaction time anyways so by the time I see 7500RPM and shift it'd probably be 8500 anyways lol.

I just hate to lose the fuel/neutral light, just now thought of that

Comment

tach

I've got a 79 round tach you can have for $20.00 + shipping. ($4-5).

pm if intertested
                    Tom Clisham

Age is relative YOU WON"T GET OLD TIL YOU SELL THE BIKE

'78xs1100E ,all stock & original GONE TO WISCONSIN

'80 SG Vetter fairing,hard bags,trunk,fork brace,
                    stock headers with fishtail mufflers,black & beautiful GONE TO ARIZONA

79SF lowered,jardine 4/2 exhaust,pod filters,drilled rotors,fork brace, bar hopper

79SF 1 owner,8000 miles, restoring to completely original ( I hope) GONE TO FRANCE

Comment

Working...
                    X