Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need: XJ11 stock exhaust - Seat & horn

Looking for a stock exhaust for the XJ11

Looking for an original seat cover or complete seat OK.

Need a horn, this one sounds like a rubber ducky...

PM if you have one of these you can let go of.

Thank ye

Gary
    82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

I think rubber ducky is what the stock horn sounds like. Might I suggest the stebel (sp) air cannon? I hear it gets the cages attention.
    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
    Vetter Windjammer IV
    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
    OEM Luggage Rack
    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
    Spade Fuse Box
    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
    750 FD Mod
    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Seat cover found.

LOL, yeah it really is an incredibly lame horn. Purely pitiful... I might just get one of those Siebel horns, saw them on ebay & read on them otherwise, 139dB is really loud. I'll need to review where I can best put it on the bike. I searched here to see if someone has one on their XJ11 & where they best mounted it but no luck so far in my search.
      82 XJ1100 Maxim "hurricane"- DEKA EXT18L AGM battery , NGK BPR6EIX spark plugs, Green Dyna coils, Sylvania SilverStar Ultra H4 bulb, 139 dB Stebel Nautilus air horn, Home-made K&N air filter based on an original paper filter frame, new piston rings, Barnett Clutch Springs, SS braid/Teflon brake lines, TKAT fork brace, rebuilt calipers, master cylinders, new brakes, reupholstered seat, lotsa little things and so many answered questions here.

Comment

This has been mentioned elsewhere but worth repeating. If you go with a Stebel...you'll need a separate wiring harness and relay for it. Because it draws a lot of current. If you just hook it up to the existing wiring..it'll burned out the wires real soon. Plus you want to mount the horn in a vertical position. That is with the trumpets facing down because there is a little motor in the horn that drives the air thru it. If its mounted horizontally it will cause the horn to malfunction and will considerably shorten its lifespan. BTDT Oh about the OEM exhaust, very hard to find nearly impossible unless you find a donor bike. Highly unlikely. Good luck with that.
        1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
        2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

Thanks for that heads up on the wiring harness, I had read that in my search results. I have a few solid state DC-DC relays which would do the job but maybe the wiring kit is a time saver. I repair my Ham Radios when they have a problem so I can make the horn work as suggested but why re-invent the wheel? If the kit is mindless to use and is ideal, it's worth the money.

Seems I could mount the horn where the original was mounted? Not sure though, I can't tell what the dimensions of the Sibel is are and if it would be too close to the headers where the heat would be a problem.

I just like the idea of being heard in an emergency when the idiot causing me trouble is in a Mercedes with the windows up & the stereo on...
          Last edited by KA1J; 03-24-2011, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KA1J View Post
            Thanks for that heads up on the wiring harness, I had read that in my search results. I have a few solid state DC-DC relays which would do the job but maybe the wiring kit is a time saver. I repair my Ham Radios when they have a problem so I can make the horn work as suggested but why re-invent the wheel? If the kit is mindless to use and is ideal, it's worth the money.

Seems I could mount the horn where the original was mounted? Not sure though, I can't tell what the dimensions of the Sibel is are and if it would be too close to the headers where the heat would be a problem.

I just like the idea of being heard in an emergency when the idiot causing me trouble is in a Mercedes with the windows up & the stereo on...
            I had a Stebel on another bike never had one on an XS. Even if you were to mount it in the original location it would be far enough away from the headers as to not cause a problem. The Stebel is freaking loud as they advertise it at 139db and it will wake up those BDCs.
            1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
            2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

Don't forget the cell phones
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Looked around for the best deal on the Stebel Nautilus compact motorcycle air horn and the matching Plug & Play wiring harness. The cheapest I found them for was from Safemoto on Fleabay with a combined total of $58.61 and If you buy both, the shipping for both is free:

Horn: http://tinyurl.com/4z7nfpx

Plug & Play: http://tinyurl.com/6gfm88h

Don't think I'll need two of them but that would be a fun setup to have when you're next to a distracted idiot crowding in on you.

Thanks for the suggestions, think this'll be the best option for me. I really rarely use a horn but it's maddening when the horn sounds like the stock one does.

Besides, too much is never enough...

Comment

2! Now that sounds fun!
                  Nathan
                  KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                  K&N Filter
                  #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                  OEM Exhaust
                  ATK Fork Brace
                  LED Dash lights
                  Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                  SS Brake Lines
                  Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Two of those things would be super awesome! The only thing that might be better would be a set of those train or big rig style air horns.
                    Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                    Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                    Vetter Windjammer IV
                    Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                    OEM Luggage Rack
                    Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                    Spade Fuse Box
                    Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                    750 FD Mod
                    TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                    XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                    XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Just would point out that these bikes use 2 factory horns. A hi tone and a lo tone.That blaster would be a blast tho.
                      79SF
                      XJ11
                      78E

Comment

Originally posted by SFerinTEXAS View Post
                        Just would point out that these bikes use 2 factory horns. A hi tone and a lo tone.That blaster would be a blast tho.
                        The Stebel is a dual tone horn
                        1982 XJ1100 MadMax-im
                        2001 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                        X