Help! In need of luggage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! In need of luggage!

Just got a newtome '79 XS1100FB and I was hoping to find a set of hard bags/trunk to go on it. Hopefully locking, but doesn't have to be. I DO have a luggage rack on it (minus the backrest cushion, but whatever.) I need to go from Seattle-ish to San Diego in a week from now and would like to take some stuff with me! I know it's a tall order, and I don't have much cash just lying around, but anything would help at this point. All I'm looking for is to not have my stuff stolen on the ride/while I'm down there and keep the weather out. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by sam6942; 01-05-2011, 12:30 AM.
    '79 XS1100F
    '82 CB450SC -- For sale, runs great.

Some people end up searching for year to find that stuff. Hope you find it fast!
    Nathan
    KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
    K&N Filter
    #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
    OEM Exhaust
    ATK Fork Brace
    LED Dash lights
    Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
    SS Brake Lines
    Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I have the number for a guy in Edmonton who has the full system. Vetter, Lowers, Cycle sound system, Trunk, Bags, Wiring and mounting brackets. It was all in very nice shape and he was asking 400 bucks but was very willing to deal. I had him down to 300 in a minute or two but SWMBO would have killed me had I bought it. Trouble is I forget if the mounting bracketry was for a XS1100 or a KZ but if you were interested I could give you the phone number to find out. I imagine shipping would be very high for the complete setup though.
      2-79 XS1100 SF
      2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
      80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
      Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Originally posted by sam6942 View Post
        Just got a newtome '79 XS1100FB and I was hoping to find a set of hard bags/trunk to go on it. Hopefully locking, but doesn't have to be. I DO have a luggage rack on it (minus the backrest cushion, but whatever.) I need to go from Seattle-ish to San Diego in a week from now and would like to take some stuff with me! I know it's a tall order, and I don't have much cash just lying around, but anything would help at this point. All I'm looking for is to not have my stuff stolen on the ride/while I'm down there and keep the weather out. Thanks in advance!
        What in the world is an "FB"?? For '79, it's either an "F" (Standard), or an "SF" (Special). You might check with member andreashweiss. He's up in your neck of the woods, and might have something laying around.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

lol, well I wanted to call it an SF, but the paperwork says FB.. SOOO I'll be checking into that.. I'm pretty sure it's a special, though?
          '79 XS1100F

Comment

Here check your steering neck VIN number against this page, then you will know for sure what it is cause depending on the year it may mount different.

http://www.xs11.com/faqs/153-serial-...ry-colors.html
            Nathan
            KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
            K&N Filter
            OEM Exhaust
            ATK Fork Brace
            LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
            SS Brake Lines

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

lol, well I wanted to call it an SF, but the paperwork says FB.. SOOO I'll be checking into that.. I'm pretty sure it's a special, though?
              Easy to tell just by looking at it. If the gas cap is flush with the tank, it's a Standard, and if the gas cap is above the surface of the tank, it's a Special. Lots of other things too, but that's a quick one to look at.
              1980 XS850SG - Sold
              Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
              Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
                Easy to tell just by looking at it. If the gas cap is flush with the tank, it's a Standard, and if the gas cap is above the surface of the tank, it's a Special. Lots of other things too, but that's a quick one to look at.
                come on bug, you know the tanks swap, so no its not that easy. VIN is the only definitive way.
                Nathan
                KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                K&N Filter
                OEM Exhaust
                ATK Fork Brace
                LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

OKAY I GIVE UP IT'S A STANDARD Plus I checked the VIN and the tank is blueish

But then the papers also say the bike is red
                  Last edited by sam6942; 01-05-2011, 12:07 PM.
                  '79 XS1100F

Comment

Oh yeah, off topic for a sec. I noticed the wiring diagram is split across two pages in the book, so I fixed it. Is there somewhere I can upload that for everyone? Or is there one already and I didn't see it?
                    '79 XS1100F

Comment

If you want to post pics you gotta put it on a site like Photobucket. If its a file then its gotta be uploaded to a file server and the link posted.
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by natemoen View Post
                        come on bug, you know the tanks swap, so no its not that easy. VIN is the only definitive way.
                        I know, but that's not a common change. It takes so much work for the fuel sender that most don't do it. But yes, you're right, the VIN is the definitive method, unless it's a frankenbike with all kinds of mixed up parts and a different engine number from the frame.

Oh yeah, off topic for a sec. I noticed the wiring diagram is split across two pages in the book, so I fixed it. Is there somewhere I can upload that for everyone? Or is there one already and I didn't see it?
                        The lines on the wiring diagram are so small that even on 2 pages, it's hard to read. I can't imagine trying to read that thing pressed onto one piece of paper! I usually print it out, fold the edges and tape the two together in the middle.
                        1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

The lines on the wiring diagram are so small that even on 2 pages, it's hard to read. I can't imagine trying to read that thing pressed onto one piece of paper! I usually print it out, fold the edges and tape the two together in the middle.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but I tweaked it a bit in photoshop first, its nice and legible! I'll see if I can find a server home for it..
                          '79 XS1100F

Comment

Sent you a PM....
                            Fast, Cheap, Reliable... Pick any two

'78E original owner - resto project
                            '78E ???? owner - Modder project FJ forks, 4-piston calipers F/R, 160/80-16 rear tire
                            '82 XJ rebuild project
                            '80SG restified, red SOLD
                            '79F parts...
                            '81H more parts...

Other current bikes:
                            '93 XL1200 Anniversary Sportster 85RWHP
                            '86 XL883/1200 Chopper
                            '82 XL1000 w/1450cc Buell, Baker 6-speed, in-progress project
                            Cage: '13 Mustang GT/CS with a few 'custom' touches
                            Yep, can't leave nuthin' alone...

Comment

Working...
                            X