need a title for my bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a title for my bike

i bought an '81 1100 special about 2 months ago and the person said they couldn't find the title but they had it. i am ready to start riding as the weather warms up but cant get it registered because of the title issue. they had it signed into there name but never transferred. the original owner is one of their friends supposedly but he is always out of town or something so now i am ready to ride and continue to get the run around if there is anybody that can help let me know

update your profile to show what state you are in. It will depend on what the laws in your state are regarding titling and transfer of title etc.
    1978 Yamaha XS 1100E "Monster" 2010-2012
    2004 RCM-50GL 2008-2010, Don't ask, don't tell (don't really know)

Comment

That's one of the reasons you shoudl never buy a vehicle without a title in hand... No matter were you are, it'll either be impossible, or very difficult to get a new title. Not to mention expensive... Keep on the guy who sold it to you to get that title. If he can't get it, I'd insist on a refund.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

I've gone through title issues with 3 of my vehicles out of 4 that I own right now. You can keep on that guy to find it, but you can work around him. Find out where the guy who legally owns it lives, take a release of interest to him personally and have him sign it. Hopefully your state isn't one that requires a full on notary. This is one of those situations where it's gonna have to be your foot work.
        "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

unfortunately it is a state that requires a notary for everything its a pain!! i got the bike cheap enough its worth doing some work to get the tittle and if i don't get it then i can part it out and make a profit and find another bike.

Comment

I live in Washington. Our release of interest says to have it signed by a notary, but they never care if I do. Also, we have both private licensing businesses, and state. The state office is always a pain, the private one I go to will work with me. Maybe you could look around to see if you are offered the same.

I bought a Chevy 1 ton P/U last winter for $1200, but it was valued at $3500 high retail. The state had a fit thinking I lied on the bill of sale to save sales tax money, typically I would have but in this case I told the truth. They wanted me to pay to have a vehicle appraisal then pay all the taxes on that value instead. I chewed their azz then went to the private office instead. They looked up private sale value, trade in value, and said yup, we believe you. Then I got my title.
            "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

Comment

This EXACT same thing happened to me. My brother "bought" the bike from this old lady cause her husband had passed away a few years before. My brother drove the bike for about 2 years, but never actually got it registered. He then bought a brand new bike, and sat that bike on the side of his house for about 4 or 5 years. He gave it to me, along with some DMV papers, but when I took it to the DMV, it was never actually registered in his name. He "attempted" to register it, but never actually paid for it, which means it stayed in the last owners name. With that said, I had to write a lengthy letter explaining my situation to the current owner along with the proper forms for them to sign it over to my name. In the state of CA, if you attempt to contact a seller with a written letter the letter gets returned back to you, then you take that letter back to the DMV (unopened) and the bike/vehicle is yours, you just pay registration fees. That's good enough for the DMV because it shows them that you made the effort.

My advice would be to confirm this with the DMV out in NC, and see if something like this would work. If so, get all of your registration forms, and put them in a letter with a stamped envelope with your address and theirs already written and a letter clearly explaining the situation, and send them off. On the envelope, put something like "This is regarding the purchase of a 19xx motorcycle that was purchased from you xx years back. Please return this envelope to sender if this bike is no longer in your possession".

Something like that should work for you. I was successful with it. I still had to pay about $500 in back registration fees but not so bad considering I got the bike for free. Good luck my bro!
              1980 XS1100SG
              In the process of making her look pretty!
              P.S., TomRodgers has the best avatar icon ever!

Comment

TDodge7 said he's had success with this place... http://www.its-titles.com/

I have a '79 special which has no title either. I've tried almost everything but this title service, so far it looks like my best bet at getting one. After about 10 years if a bike has not been re-titled in a new name or re-registered by its owner, it's records are removed "perged" from the (NY's) DMV records. To obtain a new title you have to jump through several hoops to get a new one in your name. Notorized leter from yourself stating you are indeed the lawful owner. A notorized statemtment from an officer stating the vin is clean, and of course the proper dmv doc. Only then do can you attempt/apply to get a new title in your name (I attempted to get a replacement title b/c mine was "lost in a fire"). But, NYS DMV still wants some proof that you are/were the owner, via an old insurance card or registration.
                So that got me thinking. Anyone can buy insurance on an automobile/motorcycle without registering it....hmmm I might buy a 6 month policy on the bike and then try next year with the expired incurance card to get a title. I dont know if that will work or not but its worth a try I guess. GL
                '79 XS11 F
                Stock except K&N

'79 XS11 SF
                Stock, no title.

'84 Chevy K-10 "Big Blue"
                GM 350, Muncie SM465, NP208, GM 10 Bolt with 3.42gears turnin 31x10.5 Baja Claws

"What they do have is an implacable, unrelenting presence and movement that bespeaks massive power lurking behind paint and chrome. They don't wail like a screeching ninja, the don't rumble like a harley. They just growl like a spactic, stressed out badger waiting to rip your face off and eat your soul." Trainzz~RIP~

Comment

I'd stay on top of the guy you bought it from and hound him to give you the name of whoever it is titled to now. Call him twice a day, go to his place of business to ask him about it daily. He will tell you to get rid of you.

Then you can work it out with the actual owner. He will probably want you to pay the cost of him getting a new title made which here in Ohio is about $35. You could also see if he would sign a power of attorney for you to go get the title yourself.

The guy you bought it from just wanted his money and he got it. You will never get a refund from him, and ther eis nothing you can do about it unless he signed in writing that he would get the title.
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

I have an '80 SG frame with NC title. P/M me if you are interested. I come up to Troutman some.
                    Stacy Clontz Farmville, NC
                    1980 XS1100SG
                    1971 Maico 400 Square Barrell
                    1973 Honda CR250M

Comment

http://www.its-titles.com/index.html

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Working...
                      X