Turn signal switch wanted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turn signal switch wanted.

I have an 80 xs11 midnight special and I need a turn signal switch. I keep having problems with my signals not working. Today it started acting up again, so I took it apart, cleaned it up and put it back together. With the switch hanging not yet screwed to the handlebars all was well. The ignition was on, the bike wasn't even running and it was flashing, right, left, hazards, all of it. I started the bike checked again, all was well. So I screwed it to the handlebars, put on my helmet started the bike and it was ****ed again. The left flashes, the right does nothing and there's a buzzing coming from the fuse block, hazards flash everything on the bike except the turn signals. I'm sick of screwing with this switch and need one that has never had issues before.
    "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Pics: http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/ya...?sort=6&page=1

may not be the left handlbar control, try replacing the flasher unit. located on fuse block, round alum can like if stock, or similiar, any napa unit will work, might just be that unit failed, thanx andreas, I have a factory one but cheaper fix is a cheap car one,

Comment

I still need a turn signal switch. Just updating this thread.
      "The Hooligan" XJ1100, Virago Gauge Pods, Screaming Eagle Mufflers, K&N Filter, hand made rear fender, side covers, and solo seat, round bar conversion, small headlight, tail light, and cat eye turn signals, chip fuses, rewired the right way.

Comment

I'd bet you have some loose solder points in your switch. No need to replace it. Just locate the problem point and fix it. There are lots of moving parts in there, and several rather flaky solder points. Re-solder ALL of them, just to be sure.
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
          I'd bet you have some loose solder points in your switch. No need to replace it. Just locate the problem point and fix it. There are lots of moving parts in there, and several rather flaky solder points. Re-solder ALL of them, just to be sure.
          Heck dude I've tried to solder those. And that's exactly whats wrong with it. I just can't get it to bond with the switch or the wire. I'm sick of messing with it. I have turn signals, just no hazards. I don't know why I can never get my solder to stick. I don't know if I need a hotter iron or what. I clean the crap out of it, heat the crap out of it, and it still won't flow right.

Comment

Use some flux. It's a white paste. I got a small tin of it when I bought my propane torch from Home Depot. I believe they sell it separately too. A little dab is all you need, and that tin will last you forever. It allows the solder to flow and stick nicely.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Well. The solder I'm using is lead free rosin core, no acid. Then I went and found some lead free solder paste with non corrosive flux. this stuff is grey in color. It seemed to work alright with wires. But trying to get my solder to flow into that little node and the wire is something else. I've heated it and tried so many times the plastic board can't take much more.

Comment

switch

go to auto zone and get mini switch will go right into the turn signal switch slot. i did this and have used it for 3 years, and like it better than stock. just remember to turn it off after you make your turn. i think it was 4 bucks.
                79 xs 1100 spec & 80 xs 1100 g

Comment

Originally posted by rowdyboy321 View Post
                  go to auto zone and get mini switch will go right into the turn signal switch slot. i did this and have used it for 3 years, and like it better than stock. just remember to turn it off after you make your turn. i think it was 4 bucks.
                  My blinker switch works fine. I just had to jump a wire across from the hazards and bypass those. I don't miss em. I just want to have the switch fixed right, I've already monkey rigged a handlebar switch on to control my headlight. I like it better. Besides, If I'm gonna do anything more like that, I have some Brand new Harley controls I'm devising a plan to modify so I can use those. They're much nicer.

Comment

P.M. Sent Yard dogg

Comment

Working...
                    X