Fuel sending unit swap, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel sending unit swap, anyone?

I put a standard tank on my Special and now the fuel light works backwards. Hoping someone has a Standard that they put a Special tank on and wants to trade fuel sending units.

if you still have the special tank, you should be able to swap the two. The special just uses a thermistor, and IIRC has to be put in the new tank with the same side up as in the original tank.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I'm trying

Trying to not reply in a rude manner,
      but if I still had the stock tank and float, I'd use it, obviously.
      I had no intent of going back to the small tank and sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunatic View Post
        I put a standard tank on my Special and now the fuel light works backwards. Hoping someone has a Standard that they put a Special tank on and wants to trade fuel sending units.
        When the light goes out.......fill it up!
        XS1100SF
        XS1100F

Comment

In the mean time, just leave the tank unplugged (no annoying red light) and when you switch to reserve start looking for a gas station.
          1979 xs1100 Special -
          Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
          Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
          My Bike:
          [link is broken]

Comment

I never really pay much attention to the guage on my standard. You have about a gallon left when you switch to reserve with the standard tank and that should be good unless your on the road, in which case you can get a pretty good idea from the mileage and just remember to gas up in time.
            Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
            Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
            Vetter Windjammer IV
            Vetter hard bags & Trunk
            OEM Luggage Rack
            Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
            Spade Fuse Box
            Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
            750 FD Mod
            TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
            XJ1100 Front Footpegs
            XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Thanks guys!

good tip on unpluging the sensor. I'm running a fuel cell and have both manual petcocks so I'll just leave it alone and unplug it to turn the light off. Sidenote though, this is South Dakota, you plan your next fill up AS you are filling the tank, IF you wait till you flip to reserve to start looking, be sure to wear good walking shoes.

Comment

Working...
              X