Possible 6 gear tranny for 1980 xs 1100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible 6 gear tranny for 1980 xs 1100

hey guys so im new to this forum but not new to the xs 1100's. i have previously owned a 79 xs 1100 that i bought for a 100 bucks and sold for 400.

ok well ill get to my question i am looking at picking up a 1980 xs1100 and i was wondering if anyone knew of someone that made a 6 gear tranny for this bike. if no one makews one does anyone know if a 6 gear tranny out off another nike would work with the 80 xs1100, and if so what bike would have the right 6 gear tranny.

hey thanks guys look forward to hearing from you.

To my knowledge, the answer to your question is no.
    As to a swap w' another bikes tranny... I guess anything's possible...

However, there are several members here who have "gained" the same thing by doing a fial drive swap w/ one from either the 750 or 850. Different final ratios, and will give about an 800 RPM drop in 5th difference.

Another small achievement can also be made by swapping from a 16" rear wheel to a 17"... depending on which model you have... and what tire size you choose... but it is a SMALL achievement, for a lot of work & $.

There are many threads here concerning that, and a wealth of info & knowledge to be found as well. Most here are more than glad to help ya out.
    Welcome to the forum, and good luck w/ your bike!
    Ride Safe!
    Bob
    '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
    "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Also, it always helps us here if you'll add what kind & year your bike is, where you're located, and bikes you may have owned previously to your signature, so we can help ya better when you post!

Knowledge is power, after all! A pic of your bike as an Avatar on your posts helps out too. We LOVE pics here... can't get enough of them, and you'll be amazed if you're working on something specific, when you post a pic... what these guys can see!!!! Many here know these bikes literally from the inside out.

You have to go through a 3rd party to post pics, so most suggest Photobucket, since it's free. There are threads here you can read to figure out how to post. Read, Read, Read! Lot's of good stuff here, even the ability to download manuals, elec. schematics & diagrams... etc.

Trust me... dig in here... you won't be sorry ya did!

Hope this'll help get you started.

Bob
      '82 XJ1100J Maxim (has been sold.)

'79 F "Time Machine"... oh yeah, Baby.... (Sold back to Maximan)

2011 Kaw Concours 14 ABS

In the warden's words from Cool Hand Luke;
      "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Comment

Working...
      X