Loking for 79 special seat pan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loking for 79 special seat pan

Anyone have a 79 special seat pan in good shape they'd be willing to part with?
    Mine is beyond repair, rusted out. But the Seat foam and cover looks brand new.

I have a decent seat from a 79 std to use currently. Will be looking to get rid of it once I find a special pan.

Sorry, somehow I got it in the wrong forum.

Thanks,
    Last edited by rpgoerlich; 04-02-2009, 09:18 PM. Reason: Should have been in the wanted forum.
    Richard

Goodluck!

If you find one, im interested in the standard one, as mine is the same way.

Rusted where the leather attaches
    '80 XS 1100 Standard

Comment

Gentlemen: I have a seat pan...bought the seat off e-bay
      wouldn't fit the SG, so I took the cover off of it and put it on my pan
      the pan is in very good shape...don't know if it's something you could use....I'll get pics
      1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
      "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
      My Photo Bucket

Comment

Or you could fix it

Originally posted by rpgoerlich View Post
        - - Anyone have a 79 special seat pan in good shape they'd be willing to part with? Mine is beyond repair, rusted out. But the Seat foam and cover looks brand new.- - -
        Hi Rich,
        if you can't source a good pan, try sandblasting the frail iron lace remnants of the old one and laying up 3 or 4 layers of fiberglass over the top of it. If all the little teeth that hold the cover on have broken off you can glue the cover back on with contact cement.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanks Fred, I read that in another post. The rubber mounts are siliconed in the foam right now. Most of the rust is along the middle along the lines of the mounts. I may have to take this route.
          Richard

Comment

Would an 80 special work? Got one.

I've got the seat pan from my 80 special that needs to go. If it's all the same for the 79 and 80 let me know and I can send you pics. Has very minor surface rust only. Good shape. let me know.
            80special w/79special motor.Never ride faster than your angel can fly!!

Comment

Send me that pic please.

Thanks
              Richard

Comment

Richard, have you thought about sandblasting to clean up the pan and then reinforcing it with chopped-fibre fiberglass material? I did this on a badly rusted seatpan a few years back and it worked great. When I had the cover replaced, the upholstery shop fastened it with short screws and pop rivets instead of the sharp, bent metal tabs.
                Ken Talbot

Comment

Yes, looked at that. But it's rusted out all down one side and half of the bottom. The only good part of it is the rear. I actually thought about cutting it off and welding it on a standard seat pan... But was chastised by Texas Rookie when he stopped by one night and I told him of the plan. Too good a standard seat pan to cut up for sure.

BTW I have a lead on one, just waiting for it to pan out .
                  Richard

Comment

Working...
                  X