Seeking XS Cylinder Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking XS Cylinder Case

I'm looking for a XS cylinder case with stock bore. It doesn't have to be perfect as it will be cut (sectioned) to determine the maximum after market sleeve size possible without breaking out of the case. Stock XS sleeves are not pressed in (replaceable) like the FJ, V-Max and most Kawasakis and Susukis of the 80's and subsequently the sleeves in the XS block can only be removed by boring them out. It is regretful that one must ruin an XS cylinder block by cutting it in half but there is no other way to find out how large a sleeve the case can accomodate without sectioning it. If you have one you wish to sell, please e-mail at nhrasg@charter.net for availability and pricing. Thank you very much. Dan
    81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

IIRC, somebody recently put a bank of XS cylinders in an oven for some reason, and had the barrels drop out unexpectedly. Who was that?
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Talbot
      IIRC, somebody recently put a bank of XS cylinders in an oven for some reason, and had the barrels drop out unexpectedly. Who was that?
      Twas trbig in THIS thread
      1981 XJ550RH
      1978 XS1100E The Wildebeast
      1978 XS1100F X Streem
      1980 XS1100G (with an E motor)(parts bike)
      Jet/Mod Calculator
      Speed/Gearing Calculator

Comment

Sleeves

I have never personally had a set of XS sleeves out but was told by several sources that they were not pressed in (replaceable) like the FJ and some others. Once I get my junk block and cut it I will know for sure.

Comment

Sleeves And Cylinder Block

Before leaving this subject for this moment in time, I have located a block at Mr. Weiss's place and will get it. When researching this question I was told by the Yamaha tech people in California and by Donelson Cycles in St. Louis that the sleeves in the XS block were not pressed in (replaceable) and could only be removed by boring them out. I have seen numerous Susuki's, Kaws and FJ's that have had the sleeves removed and replaced with larger aftermarket sleeves but I've never seen an XS block so modified nor has anyone else that I have talked to. Mike at Advanced Sleeves in Mentor Ohio wasn't sure either and so we both concluded that there was only one sure way to find out and that was to cut one apart. My motor is already an 1179 but I want to go bigger, a lot bigger and to find out just how big I can go I need to find out how much material there is in the XS block and how large a sleeve it will accomodate while maintaining a minimum cylinder wall thickness of .090". A stock block (sleeve) will accomodate a 75mm bore and RC Engineering sold lot's of those kits back in the 80's however a 75mm bore with the stock sleeve is shaky because at that size the sleeves will crack if you get it hot hence the reason that Wiseco doesn't offer anything bigger than 74.5mm for the stock sleeve. Somebody out there may have already did this and if so I would be most appreciative of any input. My target bore size is 78mm however that might or might not be possible hence the reason for this project. A picture of an XS block with the sleeve removed, boy would ole Dan love that for Christmas! Cheers!

Comment

Roasted Sleeves

I was just informed by my brother that he has a somewhat grimy electric oven in his shop that will go 600 plus degrees and so when I get that block from Andrew I shall give it hell and see if the sleeves come out with a shot of heat.

Comment

There is a sort of inactive member named Viper and he has this mega modded xs11, Thor, that he claims is a 1500cc engine. If you do a search for him, I'm sure you'll find the pics and description of the bike.

Comment

1500 Engine

Originally posted by John
                There is a sort of inactive member named Viper and he has this mega modded xs11, Thor, that he claims is a 1500cc engine. If you do a search for him, I'm sure you'll find the pics and description of the bike.
                A bore of 83mm and the stock stroke will yeild 1484 cc's. This is .452 larger than stock which is not possible with the XS casting. There are some after market blocks available for 80's models Kaw's and Susuki's that will accomodate bore sizes in the 80's but none were ever made for an XS. You can flip an XS block upside down and measure between the head stud holes and get close to how much room there is in the XS casting. Better yet, measure the cylinder bore centerlines. A .452 larger bore would be .226 more per side and a stock sleeve is only .130-.145 thick and you need at the very least a minumum of .060 cylinder wall thickness and so I don't think it's possible to go that big. I don't know what he is doing and I can't tell by looking at the exterior of the motor. I'm sending Andrew a $90.00 money order tomorrow for a block and when it hits St. Louis I will find out how big you can go.

Comment

Working...
                X