Bolt-on Windshield for 80 Special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolt-on Windshield for 80 Special

Looking into getting a windshield so I can cruise on the highway without getting a mouthful of bugs! Would like a bolt on so I can pull it off for in-town riding.

Reply, PM or email me if you have any for sale.

manshack_one@yahoo.com

Thanks!
    79 Special Engine/80 Special Body - sold to bigray03

I have been looking for a clear bolt on windscreen for my '80 special as well but not sure what will fit. I would be interested in hearing responses as well.
    1980 XS Eleven Special

Comment

Windshield

Originally posted by BrianB
      I have been looking for a clear bolt on windscreen for my '80 special as well but not sure what will fit. I would be interested in hearing responses as well.
      A Plexi Star II is what I used for years on my 81 Special as it fits, looks good and will stay put at 100 mph and change. You can get them in clear or tint for about $80.00. The Plexi Star II is very good for trips, but I took it off and put on the Plexi Star Street Shield which is lots smaller and doesn't knock off as much wind but the bike is much faster on the top end and gets much better gas mileage.
      81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

Where did you get a Plexistar 2 for $80 at? Bikebandit puts 'em almost at $150.

Comment

Also, I'm 5'7" and would like the wind to be going over my head instead of straight into my face!

Comment

Plexi Star II

Originally posted by manshack_one
            Also, I'm 5'7" and would like the wind to be going over my head instead of straight into my face!
            I have had three of these things and one I got from Dennis Kirk and the other two were from some place else but I don't recall the name but it wasn't Bike Bandit. I am 6'3" tall and I look over the top of the windshield but I always wear a full face helment and most of the wind is deflected up over your head but you still get some with the Plexi Star II and you get a lot with the small street shield. Plexi -Star makes a III which is taller and has long down legs but it's too big for my taste and looks bogus on the bike.
            81 Black "1179" Xcessively trick Super Special. One owner (me).

Comment

Thanks. I'll keep searching but denniskirk doesn't seem to carry National Cycle windshields anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by manshack_one
                Thanks. I'll keep searching but denniskirk doesn't seem to carry National Cycle windshields anymore.
                JC Whitney sells them. That's where I bought mine. Did you get my E mail?
                Last edited by John; 10-22-2007, 05:02 PM.

Comment

WOW JC Whitney has a ton of stuff. Anyway I am looking at something that will just deflect a bit of wind off my chest and hopefully keep the bee from hitting my neck and sending debrei over my visor. Does anybody think this would be a good fit? I am not worried about it not being over my helmet but most concerned with being durable.

Also what is everyones take on clear VS Tint?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...14106510640449

Or would this larger version be better and better suit me? Both look great and I would be eye level to the larger. Did not find if this one is a quick mount though in case I wanted to remove it nice weather. Maybe that won't be a concern. I don't know.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...14107110381266

Also are these for the 7/8" bars? I did not see a specification. Looks like I can chat with an online representative but would rather have the knowledge of this forum's imput.
                  1980 XS Eleven Special

Comment

I've got one of each of those.
                    The smaller one deflects wind from your chest area. You head and shoulders are still in the wind.
                    As you can see in the photo the larger one is.... well, larger. It came on a bike I sold a couple of years ago. I've never ridden with it so I can't vouch for it's 'protectiveness'.
                    I am interested in selling it (cheap) as I won't ever use it. It fits 7/8" bars and is clear (top portion) and tinted (lower half) a red/purple color.
                    PM me or Email (see signature) if interested (cheap).
                    Pat Kelly
                    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

PM sent
                      1980 XS Eleven Special

Comment

John,

I got the email about the black fairing w/windshield from Foster Child and responded to it. I've seen the Plexistar 2 lots of places but not for $80 like he found.

Comment

I wish I knew how that larger shield performed, Brian and Pat.
                          I got an email from JCWhitney this morning for $25 off $100 order and $50 off $200 order. Use code DEDAKX7 at checkout. Expires Oct. 25!

Comment

Sweet. Thanks Manshack. Looks like I'll have to get the larger one to qualify for that.

Does everyone prefer clear or are there benefits from a tinted? I would hate to get tinted and then find it clashes with the bike although I have seen some cool tinted ones.

What are your thoughts on this?
                            1980 XS Eleven Special

Comment

Tint

I find the clear better at night than the tinted, but most times ur looking over it but i like to see all i can so i go with clear. Tinted looks cooler but its a visibality thing for me.
                              Doug
                              Doug Mitchell
                              82 XJ1100 sold
                              2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                              2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                              1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                              47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Working...
                              X