choke control/cable for a XJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choke control/cable for a XJ

I need the cable and handlebar control/lever for a XJ. I installed a rack of carbs from a XJ on my 80G. Thanks, Kim
    1980 XS100G Standard, Full Dresser
    1980 Honda CB125S
    1984 Honda Nighthawk 650
    1986 BMW K100RT
    2004 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Kim:

If you still have the old bank it may be easier to convert the XJ to the earlier lever-actuated choke instead of adding the choke cable. The parts from the old bank should just bolt up to the XJ bank of carbs.

The XJ choke cable lever assembly mounts to the bottom side of the left-hand control assembly. There are differences between the XS and XJ units; late XS and the XJ have the 4-way flasher switch on the right control, for example, instead of the left. The XJ left control is set up for a clutch lock-out switch; this switch is part of the clutch cable assembly and includes 2 extra wires. You may not have to use these on an XS but if you remove the wires you need to plug the hole. There may be other small isuues with the conversion as well.

Anyway, a cleaner/easier approach is to convert the XJ carb bank to the lever operated system if you still have those parts lying around, or if not, maybe someone on the list here can fix you up with the parts you need.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

choke conversion

Thanks, I did not realize it would be that much trouble, yes my hazard switch is on the left I guess where the choke lever would go on the XJ. I do have the old bank, I just need to swap the whole shaft, and tap threads on the #1 carb. one little screw snapped off when I took the lever off. (Dang locktite, LOL). I might just get a XJ cable and lever and fabricate a mounting on the bars. No big deal either way, as it starts easy. I am just soooo excited bringing it back to life after sitting 14 years!!! I rode it a bit today and it brought back many great memories as when I owned a new one back in 1980. Thanks again, Kim
      1980 XS100G Standard, Full Dresser
      1980 Honda CB125S
      1984 Honda Nighthawk 650
      1986 BMW K100RT
      2004 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic

Comment

Working...
      X