WTB - 1974 TX650 Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTB - 1974 TX650 Frame

So I found a basket case 1974 TX650B...but the frame was chopped so they could make it into a hard tail. I am looking for a complete un-modified frame before I haggle a price with him. Any help in finding that year of frame would be greatly appreciated! From what I have read on the xs650 website that year is different from the rest go figure.

Thank you ahead of time!
    79F with two parts bikes (78E and a 79F). Ran it for the first season all the way through the summer. more work to do this Spring!

You can use any XS650 frame. A 1974 or 1975 would be easiest. 74 was the Cinnamon Girl. I think I have all the frame info someplace. I think seat and side covers will interchange on 1974 to 1979 XS650 standards. More bracing on later models.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

On the xs650 site someone was saying that the 74 is actually the A model and not the B model like I posted. And they were saying the same thing about the frame being interchangeable. But I'm wondering about getting the frame welded back together. Not sure if thats a smart idea or not...it would save me from having to buy another bike frame and title.
      79F with two parts bikes (78E and a 79F). Ran it for the first season all the way through the summer. more work to do this Spring!

Comment

That frame looks like it could be put back together, but you'd have to have someone who really knows how to weld as this ain't no plow blade. It has to be perfectly straight as well. The '77 to '79 frames are heavier, but much more rigid. The Special frames are close to the same, but the tabs for seat and side cover mounting will be all wrong. I think I'd try to find a frame.

This is the '74 to '79 standard and what you want. Gussets were added as they went along.

'78 to '83 Special frame. Top shock mounts moved forward.

Avoid the frame earlier than '74

The frame you want will have a loop where the passenger pegs mount, like the one below.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Working...
        X