Still looking for a XS 1100s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still looking for a XS 1100s

Last summer my XS 1100s developed a crack in the frame. Not having a replacement bike I went on to replace my knee. I now have to get back to looking for a bike. D

Does anyone know an XS 1100 for sale. There seems to be a lot of parts being sold but no complete\restored bikes on the market. What I have is the red XS 1100SH model.

I have run out of ideas as to where to look for a bike. Any ideas?

Another question I am looking at is buying a newer bike. Are there any suggestions of a replacement bike with the features I like in the XS 1100.

The features I like about the 1100 are these:
    It is a 4 cylinder engine (with about 95HP), shaft driven, sits high, the sporty look of the bike and it has all the power I need to get out of trouble. A Gold Wing for instance looks like your taking a trip even if you are going to the drugstore. I like the sleeker look of the 1100

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Last edited by mplsreds; 03-05-2014, 07:54 PM.
    81 SH

There is one being parted out with a titled frame that may be of use to you. If your looking for a complete bike, I will have one come spring.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Get your frame welded.
      Tom
      1982 5K7 Sport, restored to original from a wreck
      1978 2H9 (E), my original XS11, mostly original
      1980 2H9 monoshocked (avatar pic)http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...psf30aa1c8.jpg
      1982 XJ1100, waiting resto to original

Comment

Fixing your bike shouldn't be a problem, even if you have to replace the frame. If it's a good bike, why not?

For a new bike, check out the new Honda CB1100. How about a Moto Guzzi Griso, or a Triumph Bonneville?
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Fixing your bike shouldn't be a problem, even if you have to replace the frame. If it's a good bike, why not?

For a new bike, check out the new Honda CB1100. How about a Moto Guzzi Griso, or a Triumph Bonneville?
          Marty (in Mississippi)
          XS1100SG
          XS650SK
          XS650SH
          XS650G
          XS6502F
          XS650E

Comment

Originally posted by jetmechmarty View Post

I really like that CB1100.
            78 E - 2to1 exhaust, dynatek coils, special headlight [SOLD!]
            79 F - gas tank refurb, headgasket change, straight pipes, late model carbs, virago lowering shocks, special headlight and gauges, TC fuse block, GSXR-1100 carbs (WIP)

"May my tires not fail me, nor my engine grow cold"

Comment

Frame Crack

I cannot imagine NOT being able to repair a crack in the frame. I would have it TIG welded for the best repair results.

Any welding/fab shop can do that for you.
              1981 XS1100H Venturer
              K&N Air Filter
              ACCT
              Custom Paint by Deitz
              Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
              Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
              Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
              Stebel Nautilus Horn
              EBC Front Rotors
              Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Got two

I have a bike and a mostly disassembled parts bike that I'd be willing to part with to help you out. I live in Utah but they're available.

Comment

When I was looking to retire the XJ the closest thing I could find was a Concours. In-line 4 cylinder, shaft drive, carbureated, basic compared to other bikes of the same era. In production with minor changes from '84 to '06 in the 1000 cc version. Slightly larger forks from '96 up. All models had monoshock rear suspension. Lots of aftermarket bits and pieces available. Active user groups on-line similar to this one. Bike is a full dress with fairing and bags which is what I was looking for.

Prices are reasonable and the bike has a reputation for longevity. It is water-cooled. I went in knowing I would have to add some mods, better windshield, handlebar risers, but the one I ended up with already had SS lines and a Givi trunk bracket in addition to peg lowering kit. Had less than 8K and I paid $5K for it at a shop, better deals probably available on-line. Added a throttle lock, Russell Day-Long seat, Rifle windshield, and Murph's handlebar riser kit and now have a bike I can ride long distances with comfort and reliability. It does vibrate more than the XJ does.

I don't think it is the best looking ride out there but it is OK. Since it is 997cc insurance is pretty reasonable. I've put 6 - 8K miles on it every year since I bought it in 2009 and only maintenance has been oil changes, brake pads, and tires.

Many other good bikes out there but this is the one I ended up with so thought I would pass along my experience FWIW.
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

New bike

But first I would get the frame repaired on your current.Latest issue of Cycle World has the 2014 buyers guide.
                    What to buy? As suggested a Moto Guzzi Grisco.
                    Why? It weighs 509 pounds and makes 108 horsepower.
                    Lighter, faster and handles better. The Guzzi is like the XS11 for feel from the shaft. $12,690.00
                    The CB1100 is a bit less money and a similar kind of bike. It weighs about the same as an XS11.

As I own Yami the XS11, and Bluzu the SV1000S Suzuki, two other Guzzis appeal to me. An 85 1000 in NZ, or a new V7 750. Not as much HP, but 395 pounds of really sweet bike.

Unkle Crusty

Comment

Working...
                    X