83 venture, I may have to pick this one up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 83 venture, I may have to pick this one up

What do you guys think of this. Are they nice bikes?

http://charlestonwv.craigslist.org/mcy/4183637721.html
    Jeff
    77 XS750 2D completely stock
    79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
    What do you guys think of this. Are they nice bikes?

http://charlestonwv.craigslist.org/mcy/4183637721.html
    They are a nice bike. The early ones like that one until 85 had the 'second gear' issue like our ole' 11's.

They ARE way more involved to fix that issue. Don't have to split cases, but are a major PITA to resolve the issue compared to our 11's.
    If it's a low mile(less than 20K) bike and you don't have it as a main ride, otherwise I'd look out for an 85 or later Venture.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hi Jeff,
      It is close enough. Go and take her for a ride. V4 engine and the 2nd gear may not have gone on that one.
      Phil
      1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
      1983 XJ 650 Maxim
      2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

yeah, I can be in Charleston under and hour. Roads are horrible here right now but probably Friday they will be fine. Why is 2nd gear harder on them? Because of the fairings? I have 16,000 on mine and am not looking forward to the second gear going out. I rarely hit 2nd hard, although I did pull the front wheel on a 1-2 shift on accident. I actually pulled the wheel a little on a 2-3 shift the other day and could not believe it. It was really cold (25 degrees) and I hit 3rd really quick and the wheel felt like it came up just a wee bit. Impressed me.
        Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jjz28 View Post
          yeah, I can be in Charleston under and hour. Roads are horrible here right now but probably Friday they will be fine. Why is 2nd gear harder on them? Because of the fairings? I have 16,000 on mine and am not looking forward to the second gear going out. I rarely hit 2nd hard, although I did pull the front wheel on a 1-2 shift on accident. I actually pulled the wheel a little on a 2-3 shift the other day and could not believe it. It was really cold (25 degrees) and I hit 3rd really quick and the wheel felt like it came up just a wee bit. Impressed me.
          Secong gear isn't hard on them.......riders are, and the design of the dogs/slots.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Originally posted by motoman View Post
            Secong gear isn't hard on them.......riders are, and the design of the dogs/slots.
            I was meaning why is it harder to fix compared to our xs11.
            Jeff

Comment

I believe you may have to remove a lot of plastic, then remove the engine to split the case halves. I'm not sure that's the case. It's just my assumption.
              Marty (in Mississippi)
              XS1100SG
              XS650SK
              XS650SH
              XS650G
              XS6502F
              XS650E

Comment

Working...
              X