Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do all those acronyms and terms mean?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do all those acronyms and terms mean?

Mailing lists and email have increased the usage of acronyms into our lives. Here are some of the ones most commonly in use here.
    • AFAIK - as far as I know
    • ATGATT - All The Gear All The Time
    • ATTY - a thousand thank yous
    • BTBT - been there, broke that
    • BTDT - been there, done that
    • BTW - by the way
    • DMM - Digital Multi-Meter
    • CMA - Christian Motorcyclists Association
    • DAHIK+IJD - don't ask how I know.....I just do
    • e.g. or i.e. - an abbreviation for a latin phrase meaning "for example"
    • E model - see XS1100E 1978 Standard....as in "GOLD"
    • F model - see XS1100F 1979 Standard
    • F/B - fork brace
    • FWIW - for what it's worth
    • FYI - for your information
    • G model - see XS1100G 1980 Standard
    • GD&R - grinning, ducking and running - usually said after making a smart-aleck remark
    • H model - see XS1100H 1981 Standard
    • IBA - Iron Butt Association
    • i.e. - an abbreviation for a latin phrase meaning "that is to say"
    • IIRC - if I remember correctly
    • IMO - in my opinion
    • IMHO - in my humble opinion
    • IOW - in other words
    • ISP - Internet Service Provider
    • JAT - Just a Thought
    • LDR - See LD Rider
    • LD Rider - another mail list for the long distance riding (sometimes called endurance touring) community
    • LG model - see XS1100LG 1980 Midnight Special
    • LH model - see XS1100LH 1981 Midnight Special
    • LOL - laughing out loud
    • LOML - love of my life - or - light of my life; used to describe a SO
    • lurking - the behavior of reading messages to the list without posting any messages
    • NOS - new old stock - the term used for a brand new part that may have been sitting on a dealers' shelf for 20 years as opposed to a used part from a salvage yard or parts bike
    • PO - Previous owner
    • PITA - Pain in the @$$ - the term often used to describe the carb cleaning procedure[/B] - especially getting the carbs off or back on
    • ROTFLMAO - rolling on the floor laughing my @$$ off
    • ROTFLOL - rolling on the floor laughing loud
    • RTFM - read the freakin' manual, i.e., what you are asking is clearly spelled out in the manual
    • RTFW - read the freakin' webpage, i.e., what you're asking can most likely be found on the (XS11.COM) webpage
    • SDA - standard disclaimers apply, i.e., I have no financial stake in recommending this company, I am not responsible if you screw something up or hurt yourself, etc.
    • SO - significant other; usually a spouse, fiancĂ©, or girlfriend or boyfriend
    • S/S, SS - stainless steel, as in brake lines, or hardware
    • SWMBO - she who must be obeyed, ironically, a reference to a PBS show called Rumpole of the Bailey which is about as low-tech as they come. Rumpole referred to his wife in this manner
    • TIA - Thanks in Advance
    • Triple Clean - to clean your carburetors three times in a row to remove 20 years accumulation of the sticky gasoline residue from the small passages. An integral step in getting your bike to run well.
    • TTFN - ta ta for now
    • XJ - usually refers to the XJ1100J Maxim motorcycle. After the XS Eleven was discontinued, the XJ used a modified version of the XS engine 1982 USA, till 1984 Canada.
    • XS1100E - The first of the XS1100 motorcycles produced in 1978. Standard model as opposed to Special. There was no Special model in 1978
    • XS1100F - The second year for the XS1100 motorcycles, produced in 1979. Standard model as opposed to Special.
    • XS1100SF - The first of the XS1100 Special motorcycles, produced in 1979.
    • XS1100G - The third year for the XS1100 motorcycles, produced in 1980. Standard model as opposed to Special.
    • XS1100SG - The second year for the XS1100 Special motorcycles, produced in 1980.
    • XS1100LG - The first of the XS1100 Midnight Special motorcycles, produced in 1980.
    • XS1100H - The fourth and final year for the XS1100 motorcycles, produced in 1981. Standard model as opposed to Special. Was sold only in full dress.
    • XS1100SH - The third and final year for the XS1100 Special motorcycles, produced in 1981.
    • XS1100LH - The second and final year for the XS1100 Midnight Special motorcycles, produced in 1981.
    • YMMV - your mileage may vary, i.e., you may not see the same results as me
Working...
X