Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parts Numbering Quandry?

Oh boy, where do I begin!?

I was doing some research in the Yamaha Online Parts Catalog into the (XVZ)Venture engines and oil filters, crankcase designs just to verify that they took the same OEM Oil Filter Chamber cover as our XS11's, so that I could be sure about recommending the Spin-on Oil Filter Adapter to them!

Lo and behold, in 96 they showed the XVZ to use a spin-on filter with just a special pipe/nut/bolt device that appeared to be fitting into the same engine case.....which should have the same dimensions=diameter opening as previous years!? So I thought they had come up with a very large filter, cause that opening is about 5" wide, however when I started looking up spin-on filters for those year model engines as well as the Vmax, in the DK and JCW catalog, they all showed using the same filter as the Honda GL-1500/Valk series, which is the small Fram6017A equivalent that I designed my adapter to work with, and I know that filter won't fit against the engine opening without an adapter plate!!!!

The crankcase # for 87 XVZ:1NL-15100-00-00 which uses the old chamber cover and filter, same as the XS11.

The crankcase number was the same except for the prefix for the 97 model: 4NK-15100-00-00 but it showed using the spin-on filter model # 5GH-13440-00-00 with pipe # 90401-20145-00 but NO adapter plate!?

Then I checked out the 86 Vmax and again, except for the 3 letter/# prefix, it was the same crankcase # as the 96. Yet, the Vmax's up thru 95 used the same oil filter chamber cover and filter! In 96 they showed it also using the newer spin-on filter, with just the pipe/bolt and no adapter!?

I then found the 92-98XJ600J Secas which were shown using the same spin-on filter, but it's diagram showed an adapter plate between the filter and the engine case!?

I can't see Yamaha re-engineering their cases just to fit a spin-on oil filter, yet they don't show any adapter plates for these later models, and the crankcase #'s didn't change until 97, and then those #'s are listed for the "ENTIRE" crankcase assembly with nuts a bolts, not just the 2 halves. And my understanding is that the Venture and the Vmax are essentially the same engines, at least with regards to the engine case design. But they don't show any adapter plate to allow for use of this SMALL spin-on oil filter!?!?

Any ideas about this out there, anybody with a late model Venture circa 96 or later that could shed some light!?
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!
Working...
X