My understanding of it is that the AGM batteries will charge OK with most standard alternator systems. If you let it get low it most likely should be charged with a "smart" charger that has an AGM setting. Gel cells on the other hand are very fussy about how they are charged.
I have had excellent luck with AGM batteries. This spring I had to get a new battery for my ATV, talk about vibration problems!!! The only one I could find that anyone had on hand was an AGM so I bought it. This ATV is over 20 years old and has an alternator system on it similar to the XS11. I am extremely happy with this battery, never had one that worked this well. With wet cell batteries in it I had to pretty much keep a battery tender on it all the time I was not actually riding it or it would not start. Have not needed one on it since I changed. Next one in the Fire Dragon WILL be an AGM!!!
Both of my lawn tractors have had AGMs in them for several years now and have never given me any trouble. They NEVER get maintained, I just turn the key and go. Both of them have an unregulated straight three amp alternator system in them with just a single diode in the system and have had no trouble with the AGM.
Worth the extra money in my opinion.
I need a battery - HOLY CRAP! $100?!
Collapse
X
-
I am only on my second year with two of my bikes with AGM batteries. Both bikes started up this spring as if I had only put them in storage last week. There was no hesitation or anything. My bikes always seem to winter well, as I charge them before storing but the AGM's seemed to have more juice in the spring.
I have had very good luck with the acid filled batteries as well and many have lasted for 7 yrs. I just decided to give these a try as they are supposed to handle vibration better. Thing is as I was getting 7 yrs battery life with an acid filled one how long do I need to wait to declare one is superioir to another?
While your battery may be better than mine I like what I have seen so far out of the AGM's.
Leave a comment:
-
I had terrible luck with an AGM Interstate battery too, a lot of troubles went away when I switched to a $50 NAPA wet cell replacement.Leave a comment:
-
-
I ended up doing this late last night (my father gave me this same advice/instructions) and giving it a good 16 hour charge. She fired right up today and more importantly keep starting almost immediately without any need to toss the charger on. Thanks everyone!If you want to try and save your old battery make sure the water level is correct. There should be a line on the side of it with a mark like acid level or water level. You can pull the plugs on top of the battery and fill each cell with distilled water. Once each one is full i replug each one and charge it on a low amperage like Steve said 2amps or as low as your charger will go and i usualy leave it on there for at least 10 to 12 hours. If it doesnt work then i get a new one. This way all im out is my time and not my monney.
But to each there own.
As an aside, I did go back to walmart and bought the battery TopCat suggested. It's sitting happily unopened in a dark corner of my garage. While I generally push my car batteries to around 8 years with the help of my trusty solar-powered trickle charger something tells me that after two years of UTTER neglect I've got another season or two (MAYBE three) with the battery currently in the XS. And when battery prices inevitably rise I will be laughing.Leave a comment:
-
Yep, that's the claim, but I haven't seen evidence to support it...
I'm also on a Sportster list, and if there's a bike that needs vibration resistance, that's one of 'em. There was a big stampede over there to AGM 3-4 years ago, and they just didn't measure up. Most guys were only getting 2-3 years out of them (mine lasted 2 years), not good when the prior 'conventional' battery in mine went almost eight and cost less. That result was all-too-typical, with the longest I've heard of one lasting was five years. They claim they're 'better' but I just haven't seen it.
I've had by far the best luck with conventional batteries in the bikes. I do maintain them, maybe most owners don't, I dunno... I just know I won't buy another....
Leave a comment:
-
The agm setup is intended to be much more resistant to vibrations.Leave a comment:
-
Interesting, the XS650SK I had did the same thing to a $45 lead/acid battery after 4 months. Bought an AGM for it too. Ended up selling it just over a month ago now.Leave a comment:
-
Not always. I also ride a XS650. It rattles apart a wet cell every season. The current AGM has been in there seven years or more. It is obviously more resistant to vibration than the wet cell. Of course, that isn't such an issue with the XS11.Leave a comment:
-
-
Not always..... The Interstate I bought last year (had to special-order it) showed up as a Yuasa with an Interstate label on it. I was less than happy. It seems they're only actually building AGM batteries now and are just 'rebranding' the lower cost ones. Could have saved $15 if I had known.Ya get what ya pay for.............new Interstate to replace my old one was $75...........but old Interstate gave the bike 7yrs. of service. Wet cell batteries gonna be the best choice for these charging systems. Not gonna get into the explanation and whys.....already been done and proved out on here few years ago.
I do agree that AGM batteries are a waste of money.Leave a comment:
-
Battery saver.
If you want to try and save your old battery make sure the water level is correct. There should be a line on the side of it with a mark like acid level or water level. You can pull the plugs on top of the battery and fill each cell with distilled water. Once each one is full i replug each one and charge it on a low amperage like Steve said 2amps or as low as your charger will go and i usualy leave it on there for at least 10 to 12 hours. If it doesnt work then i get a new one. This way all im out is my time and not my monney.
But to each there own.
Leave a comment:
-
Ya get what ya pay for.............new Interstate to replace my old one was $75...........but old Interstate gave the bike 7yrs. of service. Wet cell batteries gonna be the best choice for these charging systems. Not gonna get into the explanation and whys.....already been done and proved out on here few years ago.Leave a comment:
-
Replaced mine last year with an AGM from BatteriesPlus for $110 with a 2 year warranty, after I found a $10 off coupon online. AGM out of an autoparts here only had a 90day warranty.Leave a comment:
-
Excellent advice. I know when I first started riding in the 60s, it seemed like the batteries just didn't hold up. About every three or so months I was back down at the bike shop getting a new one. I finally figured out why....
The bozo at the shop would pull the battery out, fill it then charge it for about 15-20 minutes. He'd tell me 'it'll be all charged up by the time you get home kid' and when I got home, it would start the bike. But three months later (right past the 90 day warrantee), he'd get another $20 out of me (yeah, they were cheaper in those days..
). Finally one day he screwed up and left the directions in the box....
And I even read them....
Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: