Electrical system requirements

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • XS1100_OEM4ME
    replied
    Wang

    Got mine stuck in the driveshaft houseing once, don't ask me how, forgot about that dent to clear the tire Only had a half a foot more to go before I would have cleaned her out all the way

    Originally posted by fredintoon
    Hi Tom,
    Nate doesn't. He only knows the diameter I claimed it to be.
    The same diameter as an XS11SG's main wiring harness.

    Leave a comment:


  • fredintoon
    replied
    Originally posted by tom clisham
    ( I'd like to know how Nate Knew the diameter of Fred's wang)
    Hi Tom,
    Nate doesn't. He only knows the diameter I claimed it to be.
    The same diameter as an XS11SG's main wiring harness.

    Leave a comment:


  • tom clisham
    replied
    4 into 1 exhaust

    On the 78 that I just sold, I had 4/1 mac & pod filters. Had to rejet carbs to compensate. Ran great!

    ( I'd like to know how Nate Knew the diameter of Freds wang)

    Leave a comment:


  • crazy steve
    replied
    Originally posted by fredintoon
    ...BTW, the wiring diagram shows 6 wires to the RLU plus 5 wires to the canceller, so it's not 5 or 6, it's 11....
    In reality, you can't remove even that many; about 1/3 of these wires also go other places and can't be deleted (or only a short section of it can be), some of the remaining are short wires that don't go that far in the harness. If you remove complete circuits/systems such as the turn signals, you could get a few more but that will require splitting the entire harness. Any weight savings from the harness will be measured in ounces, so is it worth it?

    If you are willing to build a complete new custom harness, relocate the key switch and start button to near the seat, and replace the somewhat-complicated Yamaha hand controls with something more basic, you could shrink the main harness quite a bit. But this wouldn't be a project for the 'electrically challenged'.....

    Leave a comment:


  • Lamric
    replied
    It's worthwhile checking out the basic wiring diagram discussion here

    Leave a comment:


  • natemoen
    replied
    I was just messing with you Fred!

    Leave a comment:


  • fredintoon
    replied
    Originally posted by natemoen
    Up, fred pretty much hit it right, other than the wang thing...
    There really is not much electrically that can be removed, and it is especially not worth opening up that mess just to removed 5 or 6 wires ESPECIALLY if your not really much of an electrical person.
    Hi Nate,
    perhaps I exaggerated the size of my wang; as thick as yer thumb, OK?
    BTW, the wiring diagram shows 6 wires to the RLU plus 5 wires to the canceller, so it's not 5 or 6, it's 11.
    Still not worth splitting an existing good harness to remove them but if one was scratch-building a minimal harness, 11 fewer wires would thin it by perhaps a pinkie's worth?

    Leave a comment:


  • TopCatGr58
    replied
    Hey Duke,

    As for the pipes, aside from a set you find on ebay or such, MAC is the only reasonably priced game in town as well as the only manufacturer still making them for our bikes....on this side of the pond. There is something called the X-pipe, but $$ in price and shipping. The MAC's do provide clearance for both use of centerstand and oil/filter changes without dropping the pipes!

    T.C.

    Leave a comment:


  • natemoen
    replied
    Up, fred pretty much hit it right, other than the wang thing...

    There really is not much electrically that can be removed, and it is especially not worth opening up that mess just to removed 5 or 6 wires ESPECIALLY if your not really much of an electrical person.

    Leave a comment:


  • fredintoon
    replied
    Originally posted by theduke
    I'm going cafe with my 79 xs11f, and am wondering about the electrical system.
    the basic question i have is, how much can i afford to get rid of? - - -
    Also, any recs on 4-1 pipes? - - -
    Hi duke,
    yeah, I've often thought that if my BSA 250 can be street legal with only eleven wires why is my XS11 harness as thick as my wang?
    Looking at the wiring diagram, alas, apart from the reserve lighting and flasher canceling units, your bike needs all that stuff.
    Pull the unwanted modules but if the harness is still in good shape and you intend to keep it I'd doubt the wisdom of splitting it open, removing 11 wires then taping it up again.
    I've no experience fitting a 4 into 1 pipes but whichever system you get, make sure you can change the oil filter with them installed and that the muffler has enough back pressure to retain the engine's mid-range power.

    Leave a comment:


  • theduke
    started a topic Electrical system requirements

    Electrical system requirements

    Hey everyone- happy tryptophan day tomorrow!

    Im going cafe with my 79 xs11f, and am wondering about the electrical system.
    the basic question i have is, how much can i afford to get rid of? If i don't need it, I don't want it. I don't know how the 79's electrical schematic ranks among the rest of the bike world, but I'm not the best electrician anyways. and obviously, Im going for as sleek and clean a look as possible.

    Also, any recs on 4-1 pipes?
    Or has anyone else out there run into anything else noteworthy while heading down the same road I'm starting on?

    much thanks!
Working...