81' carb needle location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 81' carb needle location

Almost had a question as the 81 Venturer got it's carb sync. done from where I purchased it new some 25 yrs. ago, which was some 200 miles south in Durango. The mercury said it was in bad need! Going through process some eight times(shut off, flip throttle several times, start up, reset, etc.) Got all four dead even pullin' 22.5 on the mercury, which was super at 6,500ft. elev. After gettin home, uped' the mains to 115's and had no.1 carb diaphram off to see if needles were adjustable, which there not. put it back together, and after a short ride, it loved the 115mains as it pulled hard and quick to, and above 8K. Problem: pulled plugs and noticed No.1 had a light black sooting. Was gonna ask here what was going on, but with further investigating, felt stupid when I found the problem..............you guessed it, didn't get the little plastic 'whatcamacallit' with the tit on it that's on underside of needle in it's locater hole, which was holding needle up to likely what would be 2 clip positions on the older Mikuni's. Just a word to the wise; and of course feelin like a fool for overlooking that! It ran fine......but loved the $3 per gallon fuel......and wasn't a wasted morning, as I learned to watch those little things more closely. Also, carb sync. raised mileage from 32-33 to 40mpg @70mph!
    Last edited by motoman; 07-17-2006, 09:19 PM.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.
Working...
X