X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Banff and Jasper by Bob Brown

Bob's Trip to Banff and Jasper
    by Bob Brown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone. I haven't posted in several months but I wanted to tell of the 3300 km bike ride just I completed.

I own a 1980 xs1100 but have been riding my 89 Concours (another great bike.)

My riding buddy and I started out Saturday about 9AM, and I got home to the wife and kid at about 4pm the following Saturday. We camped in government campsites every night. They are the nicest ones, with showers.

The ride from Vancouver to Banff on Highway 3 is magnificent, especially the Selmo/Crestion section. You cannot find bigger smiles on the faces of bikers than on the Highway 3. We spent the first night about 1/3 of the way thru British Columbia in Rock Creek. The next day we headed east towards the Rockies.

The second day was full of twisties and long uphill pulls that our bikes love to handle. Then the Moyie River campsite was home. The campsites at this time of the year are empty and, in most places, there were no mosquitoes.

The third day found us in Banff and, I cannot say just how amazing the mountain vistas are. You must see for yourself. We camped just outside of town with the elk and deer and, dare I say it, BEARS! Well, they are little bears. You could spend a week there with all the biking, hiking, and girl watching, but we were on a mission.

THE RIDE FROM BANFF TO JASPER IS GREAT! I recommend taking the freeway as it is much more open to the wonderful views. Try around 11am, and I recommend some nice music on the CD player. The ride up the Ice Fields Parkway is about 5 hours of some of the most beautiful sights you will ever see. We camped in a park about 3 miles from town. There were no problems except next morning when I awoke and went to answer Mother Nature, I almost fell over a large elk that had spent the night about 10 feet from my tent.

The ride from Jasper to Kamloops was nice, but after the Rockies it was just a long pleasant ride. From Kamloops to Cache Creek the ride was hot and fast. But, the ride from Cache Creek to Lillooet was legendary. And from Lillooet to Whistler was, was, well, you just HAVE ride the Duffy Lake road.

I had a great time.

Take care and remember - the life you save might be mine.
Working...
X