LED Tail Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED Tail Light

I read the customer review of Sylvania’s 1157R LED Tail/Brake light bulb. The likes were;
    1. The LED is much brighter than the regular bulb.
    2. Draws much less wattage – 2.5/0.4 compared to 27/8

The dislikes were;
    1. The white bulb behind the red tail light lens looks pink.
    2. While the taillight brightness is very bright, when the brake is applied, the light is not much brighter.

What I did was;
    1. I used the red colored bulb that makes the lens strikingly bright red.
    2. The difference between tail and brake light is indeed little – So - I reversed the wiring to the tail light illuminated the brake and brake the tail. Now the tail light is bright, somewhat brighter than stock but the brake is brilliantly brighter.

Problem? Yes, if you have a ’79 SF, the tail/brake light burnout indicator light will inform you of a problem unless you bypass the Tail Light Checker Unit. Unplug the unit and connect blue and blue/yellow together at the harness plug. Note - The burnout indicator light will no longer function. But the Low Oil Pressure Light will.

Lastly, the license plate illumination function with the red LED bulb will be – well different.
    1979 XS 1100 Special - Nicknamed "MONSTER"

ATC fuse box
    Braded stainless brake lines
    4/2 aftermarket exhaust(temp until stock is re-chromed )
    V-Max auto cam chain adjuster
    Brake light modulator with reserve brake light bypass
    Vetter Windjammer III faring
    Tkat Fork Brace

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed; unlike the citizens of the countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms”
    James Madison, The Federalists Papers
Working...
X