Tourmaster Tank Bag System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourmaster Tank Bag System

Prior to my trip north (see Ride Report), I dragged my tank bag out of storage to see how it had fared since its last use (Pre-1980). The bag looked OK, but smelled rather rank with a sameness inherent to some of the other items stored with it. I figured that SWMBO could run it through the wash and restore/remove the smell. However, I couldn't find the holddown straps which wrapped around the tank (and the Ethafoam pad I'd fabricated to protect the tank of my XS750, the last bike on which I'd used it). Evaluating the situation, I leapt into action. I went to my nearby Yamaha/Honda/Kawasaki dealer and browsed their selection of tank bags. I purchased the Tourmaster "system" because it had: A) a magnetic pad to hold it on the tank; B) a dual compartment system which is, essentially, a small tank bag zippered onto a larger tank bag; and C) a shape and size similar to what I was used to. The old bag is an Eclipse and I'm probably going to wash it and contact Eclipse to see if I can get a new set of holdowns. SWMBO will ride again one day.

I packed the bag with quite a bit of stuff. Heeding the warning about the magnets, I did not pack my digital camera nor my credit card containing wallet fearing the consequences.

The bag worked admirably. I really didn't need to use the tether that comes attached to the pad as the magnets grip very firmly. The bag is easy to lift and tilt back onto the seat for fueling. THe map pocket is large and will accept 8.5 x 11 paper (or folded maps) easily. It is held closed by a Velcro tab.

The bag comes with a padded luggage-type carrying handle on one end and a shoulder strap. The cost was around $125.00 which I thought wasn't bad since I remembered paying around $75.00 for the Eclipse back in the late 70's. I haven't used the smaller piggy-back bag yet (bike is in the shop for some glitch-fixing that occurred on the ride), but am planning to use it for hauling things to work (i.e., lunch).

If I continue to make longish trips, I may consider the saddlebag/duffle combination that a friend of mine has and likes a lot.
Working...
X