Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radioguylogs
    replied
    My first reaction was , "Wow, how does one manage a 9700 mile trip?" Then I understood.

You probably already know it, but the 1st gen Vmax clutch slave is harder to access than the V65, but still no problem for a weekend job. You have to remove the middle gearcase cover, so you need the middle gearcase gasket too....and you normally drain the oil to do the deed.

Leave a comment:

• 2manybikes
    replied
    Vmax

Thanks Marty, it's nice to be able to sign in again.

Mike, I've never put the 15 on the road. I sneak out a couple times a year and run it around the block a few times. Think I am up to 5 or 6 miles! Funny you mention the clutch slave issue. The clutch master on my 97 has to be worked a few times if it sits for more than a few months. No leaks near it, perhaps it would be prudent to check the other end of the system! I rolled a whopping 9700 miles the last time I rode it.

Leave a comment:

• jetmechmarty
    replied
    Originally posted by 2manybikes View Post
    Nice! I know you have been wanting one. After 6 or 7 months I finally figured out the secret hand shake for signing in thanks to Jeff and Mike P. Thats my favorite color scheme as well. No snow tires?
    Welcome back!

Leave a comment:

• Radioguylogs
    replied
    Curtis!

Nice to hear from you.

No snow tires, but fortunately there has been no snow this year so far.

I did have to rebuild the clutch slave because I found it was leaked horribly after I got it home in November.

I had one more 50 mile ride December 26 and it left me drooling for Spring.

I know you have a super-low-mile 2nd generation Vmax. Do you ride it or avoid putting miles on it?

Leave a comment:

• 2manybikes
    replied
    Congrats!

Nice! I know you have been wanting one. After 6 or 7 months I finally figured out the secret hand shake for signing in thanks to Jeff and Mike P. Thats my favorite color scheme as well. No snow tires?

Leave a comment:

• xs11lover
    replied
    Pretty cool! I had a buddy that had that exact bike back in the day. It was insane. I don’t know why but this pic immediately came to mind. Have fun.

Leave a comment:

• MaximPhil
    replied
    Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
    Makes me think about pilot jets.

Dealership said they rebuilt the carbs. The actual mechanic said he installed a carb kit and blew carb cleaner through the passages.

Or it might might be characteristic of the design.

I'll ask the guys on the VMAX forum.
    Hi Mike,
    Do ask the forum. But a Professional mechanic messed with the carb would be my most likely suspect. Not that I know anything about carbs you understand.
    Phil

Leave a comment:

• Radioguylogs
    replied
    Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
    I wonder if your lack of torque is an adjustment issue or a design flaw?
    Makes me think about pilot jets.

Dealership said they rebuilt the carbs. The actual mechanic said he installed a carb kit and blew carb cleaner through the passages.

Or it might might be characteristic of the design.

I'll ask the guys on the VMAX forum.

Leave a comment:

• MaximPhil
    replied
    Thanks Mike,
    Sounds like loads of fun in store for the Spring. I wonder if your lack of torque is an adjustment issue or a design flaw? with such a powerful motor I would be cautious about high rev launches

Phil

Leave a comment:

• Radioguylogs
    replied
    VMAX Handles Well

Phil:

Well, I was only able to ride the VMAX twice before it snowed here in Michigan.

My impression about the handling was good. I found it was quite stable….it doesn’t bounce, or wobble or jitter in the curves. The seat feels relatively low. I was immediately confident, but not too daring yet. It does feel heavy @ 600lbs.

I think the VMAX handles better than XS11’s. My XS11SF is my most difficult bike to ride. The seat feels high, and it seems to bounce around it the curves. Surprisingly, my dressed XS11SG “Bagger” sits lower and handles better, but not as good as the VMAX in my opinion.

I like the sitting position of the VAMX. It is similar to my XS11’s and my XS750’s….where my feet are underneath me. I am less fond of the Honda V65 position where my feet are in front of me, like riding a chopper.

So I give the VMAX a ‘thumbs up’ for handling so far.

Meanwhile, it's a little odd and unnerving that the torque is dead when you first pull out from a stop....then after a brief lull, you have all the power you can use. There is a big dead spot in the low RPM range. The V65 doesn't have this characteristic.

Overall, the VMAX is like getting to drive race car on the streets. I can't wait until the next 50 degree day!

Leave a comment:

• jetmechmarty
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MaximPhil
    replied
    Originally posted by Radioguylogs View Post
    Done:

Rotor are solid in the side view, but they are actually hollow inside. There is a relatively thin sheet on each side with ribs holding the two sides together.

Hi Mike,
    That style of rotor is commonly called "ventilated" and common on cars, I had not seen it in a motorcycle application before.

Phil

Leave a comment:

• madmax-im
    replied
    well I can see the pic here on the desktop today..It is a bitchin' ride Mike...I too have heard their handling isnt that great...I 'spose y'all will mete it out..so to say...Looks like a hoot and a holler to ride...
    Last edited by madmax-im; 10-30-2018, 07:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Radioguylogs
    replied
    Done: It's supposed to be 145Hp, but there seems to be some controversy related to the V Boost technology. The V Boost allows each cylinder to drink from 2 carbs above 6k RPM.

MaximPhil: Weather was OK today, so I got ready to ride it tonight, and the battery didn't have enough charge to start it after I hit the gas station a mile away. Had to give it a little charge and limp home in breathtaking fashion. I can't wait to have a chance to open it up. I'll report more when I have a chance to ride it around. My initial impression is that I like the ergonomics way better than the V65. Let's see how it does in the curves.

Rotor are solid in the side view, but they are actually hollow inside. There is a relatively thin sheet on each side with ribs holding the two sides together.

Secretary of State didn't have the title in their system yet when I tried to register the bike today. Have to stay out of trouble on that frontier for a few days.

Battery removal was not easy.

Leave a comment:

• MaximPhil
    replied
    Nice find Mike, what a beast. I will be interested to hear your impressions after riding it for a while. some say the handling sucks others that it handles well.
    Looks like solid rotors ? surely not.

Phil

Leave a comment:

Working...
X