Apocalypse-capable 1971 Suzuki T250 2-stroke motorcycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apocalypse-capable 1971 Suzuki T250 2-stroke motorcycle

Found this fun ad on local Craigslist - guess I should be planning better!

John

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/3194231842.html

Apocalypse-capable 1971 Suzuki T250 2-stroke motorcycle - $1200 (NW (Near The Rim))

Date: 2012-09-04, 10:07AM CDT
    Reply to this post

Hello Everyone,

I have this older motorcycle for sale, hopefully to a tender loving owner. Or perhaps not so tender and loving. You see, the most advanced electrical component on the motorcycle is a hefty diode. Or a few of them, in the rectifier. While this motorcycle may be calm and subdued at heart, the truth is that if an EMP goes off, and they're as bad as I hear, this will be one of the last things running. It'll likely have machine guns and machetes mounted to it. And the 2-stroke smoking effect replaces needs for a smoke grenade.

So perhaps, you want to live calmly and peacefully for the next couple years. Then China gets mad about unpaid debt, drops a neutron bomb, and everyone is motionless, aside from their legs, which they probably can't walk on any more. And you'd probably die with them. Unless you had this motorcycle! It'd start right up. Points clicking away, making a spark regardless of electro-magnetic interference or damage. It fires to life after a gentle kick-start. Which is good that it's so gentle, because you're probably famished at this point and starving. Any 4-stroke that's much bigger would require quite the leg. Now, you could just get a bike with an electric starter. But what if the battery is dead? The electric starter also adds a lot of weight, both in a heavier battery and its own mass. The extra mass of the starter ends up costing you a tenth of a second in your 0-80mph scurry, and that guy with the kick start bike lops off your head. Game over.

But! This bike, in theory, would be fairly ideal. You've got the only bike on the road. You know what you should do? Pick up a beautiful woman. One capable and cunning. Who just happened to not pick up a 2-stroke bike like this one, but would otherwise possibly survive. Despite the fact that she normally wouldn't go out with you, she has little other option. I hear post-apocalyptic relationships are the best!

Now, I've been a little overly optimistic back there. The truth is, the bike doesn't normally start with a gentle kick. It can; when warm and happy I've turned it over with my hand. But it has issues, and will die on you and refuse to start. I haven't figured out why. She's an inline twin, 250cc. Two stroke without a reed valve. I don't know much about 2-strokes, but they weren't quite what I wanted. When she runs, she's pretty darn quick for a 250cc. But no low-end torque, which may go away with better tuning. Though I adore simplicity, I find that the 2-stroke is a pickier design. Even without valves to set and break, I just haven't had much luck with her. I've been stranded twice, the second time being picked up by a gay middle-eastern man who tried a bit too much to get into my pants.

So, the bike is in great shape overall. Less than 7k original miles. I don't believe it's been rebuilt, but I'm not sure. It has an automatic oiler, which you may want to check to be sure it's working properly. One carb was recently cleaned, the other seems alright. Baffles are still in place, and appear to be easily removable.

I bought the bike for $2,000 from a very nice fellow. Since then, I removed the eratic tachometer, JB welded the triple tree for solid steering (the rubber mounted steering feels a little weird to me), and put on a flat handlebar from a bicycle (seems strong enough, but I have a couple doubts). I ended up getting the turn-signal switch/mirror order wrong on the left side, but it works for now. Also broke a bolt, so the front brake lever is held on by zip-ties, but works fine for the most part. The front forks did stiffen up, seemingly after getting rain in them. They feel nicer now, but I don't know if that's a terribly bad thing or not. I also removed the adjustable steering dampner in these adventures, but it seems to ride fine without. I may have the original parts for it if you'd rather re-add it.

When I bought it, it seemed to be fine and was coming from a much more seasoned mechanic than myself. It definitely has/had issues flooding on the right cylinder. I first thought the exhaust was not on tight enough and it was causing issues with flooding from the exhaust wave being incorrect, but it flooded again. I later found that the throttle cable to the right carb was disconnected, so it was not opening properly at all under throttle. I investigated removing the battery and running with a capacitor. The ignition coils have 5 ohms of resistance, which can wear down the battery, but much more quickly wear down a capacitor. It is sort of startable without, but the bigger issue is that the voltage rises and is uncontrolled. Enough to have burnt out the tail light, which I since replaced. All lights and turn signals work. Headlight seems weak, but I think that's an issue from the factory. Turn signals + lights + brake light, if idle speed is not high enough, can cause excessive load and potentially cause it to stall.

The bike has a very comfortable and floaty feel to it. I don't care for it myself, but I guess I'd imagine it to the likes of a scooter. A firmer/lower seat would help a lot. The old handlebars magnified this quite a bit. I have the original handlebars and airbox (now has sock filters), but left the cracked boot at the original seller's place. I have the title for it. Registration is current, but inspection is expired. The twin-leading shoe brake in the front seems strong, but barely applies enough reverse pressure to hold you on hills. You have to use the rear, single leading shoe brake, for that.

Anyways, I hope I've given you enough details on the bike. It's a neat bike, but even if in top condition, not really quite what I want. I just love my 4-stroke torque and being able to pull up a steep driveway without clutching. I also don't care for the loud noise and oil spray out the exhaust. The smoke clouds do look kinda cool, though.

Price is negotiable at $1,200, but the bike really is in good shape on the whole. Well, aside from the running-intermitently part. I can't guarantee I can get it started for you, but I'll try. She'll run fine for a while, then die off. So probably nothing too serious, but don't quote me on that.

So if you're ready to ride off into the sunset, with or without a machete and attractive woman, you should really consider this bike.

Thanks,
    Teran
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"
Working...
X