Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LoHo
    replied
    Congrats on your purchase...be prepared to become an expert on carb cleaning...

Leave a comment:

• Radioguylogs
    replied
    That's an especially nice bike for the price.

It's really unusual the exhast headers are so nice (not rusted).

Welcome to the forum.

Leave a comment:

• bikerphil
    replied
    Originally posted by TheNannerpus View Post
    where do I edit my signature line? I didn't see 'Signature' in the profile section.
    Click on your name in the top right corner, click user settings, click profile, click account, scroll down to edit user signature and click.

Leave a comment:

• Bax
    replied
    Welcome to the club. Looks like you have a good starting point with the bike in decent shape. I'd suggest returning the carbs to known OEM starting points with genuine Mikuni jets and needles. There are a lot of inferior "replacements" that can cause the fueling symptoms you describe. Rebuild kits for the octy are available, diaphragms are drop in, but need a larger o-ring to seat the valve properly.

---Bax

Leave a comment:

• TheNannerpus
    replied
    EDIT: NEVERMIND...I found the help section

Also, where do I edit my signature line? I didn't see 'Signature' in the profile section.
    Last edited by TheNannerpus; 09-21-2021, 12:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TheNannerpus
    started a topic New member here, just bought an xs1100 special

New member here, just bought an xs1100 special

***I'm gonna just keep updating this post with the latest going-ons of this newb's bike project***

I've been heavily browsing these forums for the past week, so I figured I should join up.

I just bought a 1980 XS11 Special with 33k miles on the clock. It wouldn't even start when I picked it up, but it looked fairly clean. The PO said it was a barn find in northern WI that he paid $1k for earlier this year and spent several hours cleaning up. He had only ridden it once, but was having fuel leaking from the fuel diaphragm and was frustrated with it. He had the tank and side covers painted and got new emblems for it.

I wanted a project bike so I gave him $1300 for it. I figured Google's value search was fairly accurate and thought it was a fair deal. (?)

I got it home, disconnected the octy setup and tried starting it with just the fuel remaining in the lines, full choke. That worked! It idled, but any amount of throttle and it bogged, absolutely no revving. Taking it off choke, it died. Once it warmed up, it died. I also noticed the diaphragm's rubber gasket was rotated out of alignment, meaning the holes in the gasket were not lined up with the little raised dots. I can't help but wonder if that's why it leaked.

So off came the carbs and here I am. This seems like a good place with a good bunch of contributors that know a heck of a lot more than I do.
    Last edited by TheNannerpus; 10-09-2021, 07:03 PM.
Working...
X