Sad Local News Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad Local News Story

Saw this about a week ago, but forgot to post about it. Hopefully the video link will work! Here's the text about it, what a way to go!
    Lightning strikes, kills motorcyclist 06:28 PM EDT on Tuesday, May 24, 2005

By 13News

A motorcyclist was killed by lightning in Tuesday afternoon’s storm.

Virginia State Police say the driver, a 43-year-old man from Va. Beach, was westbound on Route 58 in Courtland, in Southampton County.

About 4:10 p.m, lightning stuck, hitting him and sending him into the oncoming lane and then off the road.

The motorcycle burst into flames at that point, police added.

The wife of a motorcyclist killed by lightning in Tuesday afternoon’s thunderstorms says her husband died on the machine he loved.

43-year-old Rick Moran of Va. Beach was on Route 58 in Courtland, in Southampton County about 4:10 p.m when lightning stuck him and killed him instantly. His motorcycle went into the oncoming lane and then off the road, where it burst into flames.

Moran’s wife Renese said her husband was on his way to Super Bike School in Danville, a place where he could hone his racing skills.

http://www.wvec.com/perl/common/vide...ycle_death.wmv

Rick Moran, 43, died when he was hit by lightning on his motorcycle.

Moran often checked the forecast and took precautions. The odds were in his favor, but perhaps fate wasn't.

Renese Moran saw the weather radar and watched the breaking news, reporting that a motorcyclist from Virginia Beach had been struck and killed by lightning on route 58 in Courtland.

She knew then that her husband was the victim.

"I was waiting forever for the troopers to get here. When they got here and started up the driveway, I opened the door and said, ‘he's dead. I know he is.’"

Moran was 43 years old, a retired sailor who long had a love for the sport and adventure of motorcycling. "He started riding bikes when he was a teenager and he never stopped. It was his joy," said Renese.

He spent the last three years working at Adventure BMW in Chesapeake. The store manager spoke to him just as he was leaving for bike school.

Rick Goldbach says Moran was not worried about the weather. “He tracked the weather on the screen, but a rainstorm would not be what we're worried about. We just ride through it. It's in the way," said Goldbach.

Rick and Renese Moran had planned a biking trip to Maine this summer. His trip this week to super bike school was her Christmas gift to him.

In the wake of tragedy, she has found some peace. "Peace in the way he was on the machine he loved. But I still can't grasp what happened."

Lightning deaths like these are rare. Rick Moran wasn't at the highest point, but at the wrong place at the wrong time, riding a metal object.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!
Working...
X