Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jjz28
    replied
    Exactly what he just said. I came here last year after buy a 79 special for $500. I went and looked at it, one owner bike that passed away. I knew him as a kid and actually rode the bike in a field in like 1989. Well, the bike would not hit when I went to look at it. I pulled one spark plug, sprayed in some starting fluid and It hit so I said, "I'll give you $500". Went home and they called me so I went back and got it. These guys here are the best. After 4 hours it was running and haven't looked back since. Have had to fix a few things like clutch springs and fork seals. Didn't even need to look at any manual, these guys led me through everthing. Catonic bug has manuals for free to download in his sig. Good luck and hope you can make it to the rally, it will be my first one too.

Leave a comment:

• MPittma100
    replied
    Welcome John from NC

Sounds like you will have plenty to do to your new toy having sat for so long. I came here as a newbie a couple of years ago looking for information on my newly purchased XS1100 Special.

I found more information and how-to procedures from all the guys here than you will ever get out of a Yamaha or Chilton's manual. My questions were answered quickly and with great detail. I have greatly appreciated all of the help that I receive from everyone here.

You can move forward with confidence as you will be able to find a fix to correct any problems right here. We look forward to assisting you.

MP

Leave a comment:

• CLTBLUESMAN
    replied
    Md

DPotter 58

Let me know where you are in MD and on the way back I can take the Eastern Route and stop by.

Leave a comment:

• GLoweVA
    replied
    Welcome to the site. Too bad you can get the bike on the road by the end of next month so you can meet many of us at the XS SE rally in the smokey mts.

I found the terraplane manual on vetter's site:
    http://www.craigvetter.com/images/Ve...e%20Manual.pdf
    also if you don't have a manual, CatatonicBug has one on his site here:
    http://www.ringler.us/family/mybike.html

There's a few XSives in your neck of the woods, I'm sure they may offer up some hands-on help if you need it, just ask, we're all fairly friendly here.

Oh, and Fred is probably going to become one of your best friends! He loves sidecars!

Leave a comment:

• CLTBLUESMAN
    replied
    Complete

I have both the bike and the Terraplane sitting in his garage in MD. As soon as I can line up a trailer I will be going to get them.

Leave a comment:

• fredintoon
    replied
    Originally posted by CLTBLUESMAN View Post
    Hey Y'all, I am a new member who just got my credentials! I am happy to join, and look forward to being a part of this forum. My 83 year old father just gave me his 1979 XS11 that he purchased new in late 1978. He loves that bike. He also bought a Vetter Terraplane, that matched perfectly. It has been sitting in his garage since I know 1993 at least. So it has not been ridden in 20 years. It has 20k in mileage thereabouts.

I recall that I took it for a spin shortly after he got it. I had an old Honda K1 model 750, that I loved and ran great. After I rode Dad's I got on mine and it felt like a mini-bike. I was never satisfied with it again. It felt like it could not get out of it's own way after that.

I recall my Dad remarking "John, it's not a question of power any-more, it is whether I got the balls or not".

Anyway I look forward to trailering it from MD to NC and getting it back on the road.

Thanks for maintaining this group, because if you guys hadn't of been doing it, I would not be here today, sharing this with fellow XS11 lovers!

Sincerely,
    John Yutzy, Mooresville, NC. Race City, USA!!
    Hi John and welcome,
    you got the complete XS1100/Terraplane rig or just the bike?

Leave a comment:

• madmax-im
    replied
    yeppers y'all found the right place...Welcome to Ch11

Leave a comment:

• mlew
    replied
    All right , another member in NC. Welcome

Leave a comment:

• dpotter58
    replied
    I was hoping it was near me so I could get a look at it.

Leave a comment:

• CLTBLUESMAN
    replied
    It is in MT. Savage, other side of the mountain from Frostburg

Leave a comment:

• dpotter58
    replied
    Where is it in Maryland?

Leave a comment:

• donebysunday
    replied
    79 wow

Welcome !!!!!

What a great story, your dad passing the XS11 to you !

Make it right and as you know be careful !!!!!

Leave a comment:

• bikerphil
    replied
    Welcome aboard my friend, plenty of knowledge here to get you rolling right.

Leave a comment:

• CLTBLUESMAN
    started a topic New guy from Mooresville, NC

New guy from Mooresville, NC

Hey Y'all, I am a new member who just got my credentials! I am happy to join, and look forward to being a part of this forum. My 83 year old father just gave me his 1979 XS11 that he purchased new in late 1978. He loves that bike. He also bought a Vetter Terraplane, that matched perfectly. It has been sitting in his garage since I know 1993 at least. So it has not been ridden in 20 years. It has 20k in mileage thereabouts.

I recall that I took it for a spin shortly after he got it. I had an old Honda K1 model 750, that I loved and ran great. After I rode Dad's I got on mine and it felt like a mini-bike. I was never satisfied with it again. It felt like it could not get out of it's own way after that.

I recall my Dad remarking "John, it's not a question of power any-more, it is whether I got the balls or not".

Anyway I look forward to trailering it from MD to NC and getting it back on the road.

Thanks for maintaining this group, because if you guys hadn't of been doing it, I would not be here today, sharing this with fellow XS11 lovers!

Sincerely,
    John Yutzy, Mooresville, NC. Race City, USA!!
Working...
X