Dream Machines Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream Machines Pics

Ray and I heard at the last minute, (well Saturday morning, anyway,) that “The Dream Machine” was happening at Half Moon Bay on Sunday the 19th of April: not enough time, unfortunately to rally our brothers of XS to join us and display our bikes, but since we live so close, and since we try to find a good excuse for a Sunday Ride, this certainly fit the bill.
    This is an event that is a “gear heads” delight! Any one who has any mechanical device that they care to exhibit, for a fee of $30 is free to do so. It is held at the Half Moon Bay airport, and is a combination antique fly-in air show, custom and classic car show, custom and antique bike show, steam show, antique tractor show… well, you get the idea.
    Ray and I met around 9:00 A.M., gassed up, and jammed up Hwy 1 to Half Moon Bay. This is a medium sized town about 20 miles south of San Francisco, on the Pacific Ocean, and Hwy 1, AKA the Pacific Coast Hwy.
    We left early. Last year we started late and even on bikes it was slow getting in. This year we arrived around 10:30 or 11:00 and it was fairly easy getting in. Cost: $20 including parking. I played the “senior card” and got in for $10. It was a cool day for the central California coast: around 65 and partly cloudy most of the afternoon. Perfect! Better that than too hot!
    Here are a few shots I took.

A big hit was the steam exhibit. Here is a fully operational scale model steam tractor.
    Here is a slightly modified Jag.

Had an interesting chat with the creator of this racing electric bike. By the way, since “motorcycles” are actually powered by engines, this was probably the only true “motor” cycle in the show!

Here are a couple of cherry Indians.

The heads sticking out of the fairing are dummies. The real engine is a wankle mounted in the side car! The front wheel is actually mounted to the side car also.
    Very nice job!

A big hit (in a manner of speaking,) were these over sized roadsters based on diesel truck/tractor frames and engines. The latter has a WW II tank engine! Sorry I didn’t take better notes. I think it is a blown v12. Fuel consumption is probably rated at X gallons per mile!

A major part of the event was the air show. While we enjoyed the fly over of the WW1 and WWII war planes, we never got over to see the planes close. Since the Watsonville Antique Fly In was due to happen on Memorial Day we opted out on this part of the show.
    We hope we can give a heads-up next year so that we can get some other riders here to show our bikes. It cost $20 to get in as a spectator, but only $30 to exhibit! The event is a hoote, and now that I have a new pad I would gladly host a couple of XSive brothers overnight.

Prologue:
    It took a while to get this posted due to the fact that this event occurred while I was in the process of moving. After that Ray was so kind as to give me his “old” computer which was such an upgrade from my old (we are talking really old here,) computer with a Windows ’98 operating system. It took a while to transfer files etc
    I don’t want to get mushy here, but I want to take a moment to salute my best friend, DiverRay. His main hobby seems to be helping other people. I think he would literally give you the shirt off his back. I don’t know what I’ve done to deserve his friendship other than owning an XS11, but I gotta say “I love you man!” There is no way I can repay you for all your kindness other than to “pay it forward” to others, which has always been my inclination anyway. ‘Nuff said.
    Special Ed
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.
Working...
X