Thanks Big Al, where ever you are.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Big Al, where ever you are.

Almost four years ago I bought a running Yamaha XJ1100 from a local bone yard. Originally minted in 1982, it was in rough shape, but came highly recommended for that strong engine.

This bike was somebody`s baby. "Big All" was hand-pinstriped on the filler cap. There was a hand-pained (not airbrushed) mural of a woodland scene with a bald eagle coming in for a landing on the gas tank (I think it was signed by "Botten" but couldn`t read it well). By the time I got it, the paint was faded and chipped.

Hand pin striping accents on the tank and side panels, and ferring. Roadhawk custom hand grips, highway bars and case protectors, back rest, and lots of extras. Big Al loved this bike, though it only had 32k on the odometer.

Well, he wouldn`t recognize it now. I merged it with a Mitsubishi Montero and made a trike out of it. I`ve put 5000 miles on it in various machinations, but it`s finally (near) complete. I finally wet-sanded off the old brush-panted bald eagle, and it`s bright yellow now.

Still looks home-built, no one will confuse it with a kit or factory trike. I hope that Big Al would be proud. I`ll post pics today.
Working...
X