Gene Bukovi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene Bukovi

Just wanted to let everyone know my Dad passed away from a blood clot. He was 68 years old. Really caught us by surprise. He bought a 1980 XS1100 Special when I was in High School. He always kept his motorcycles in mint condition. I keep a picture of him on his XS1100 back in 91' when we went to Daytona. I just bought an 81' which my son and I are going to cherry it out to look like Dads. See you on the road.

Gene Jr
    Gene (Florida)
    1980 XS1100SG
    Accel Coils
    4-1 Jardine Exhaust

sorry to hear that

Life never stops though and it sounds like you have a great way to honor his memory, BTW if you plan on coming to san diego environs let us know there are some good guys down here and there is always planedick in yorba linda he is an amazing mechanic and can tell you what is wrong with any machine in a matter of minutes!
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Very sorry to hear of your fathers passing. Sounds like he has left a great legacy to follow. Best of luck in getting the bike completed.
      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
      93 GSX600F
      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
      81 XS1100 Special
      81 CB750 C
      80 CB750 C
      78 XS750

Comment

What a neat way to pay homage to your dad.Thats cool.
        Keep us posted on your project.My daughter helped me paint her car when she was sixteen(kinda).She is a girly girl and just wanted to be able to tell her friends she helped.I didnt care,we actually had fun and bonded a little with it..
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

So sorry to read of your Dad's unexpected passing...
          but what a wonderful way to remember him...

Best of luck with your project...
          81 SH Something Special
          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
          81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
          80 LG Black Magic
          78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
          For those on FB

Comment

Thanks to everyone on this post. I can't believe the hospitality received. You all sound like a great bunch of guy's.

tarzan, funny you should mention your daughter. My daughter is 16 and she's more excited than my 12 year old son. She keeps asking me when am I going to pick up the bike.

garthxs, thanks for the invite. I will definitely let you know when I am heading down.

Wildkat, I will keep you and the rest posted on the progress.

DGXSER, your right my Dad is a tough act to follow. He could fix anything. I only got half those genes.

Thanks again everyone for your kind words.

Gene Jr
            Gene (Florida)
            1980 XS1100SG
            Accel Coils
            4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

Hey there Gene,

I'm a little late, but also wanted to convey my condolences on your loss!

I didn't have a father figure when I was a child, I didn't meet my father until I was 12 y/o. in 1970. I got to spend 1 week with him when I was 14, and then a year when I was 15, first year in High School. I had been bullied for the previous 3 years in Junior High..I was/am a nerd and never really learned to fight, didn't want to get into trouble with school, etc.! So...when I got the chance to move away from Fla. to Hawaii and spend time with him, I jumped at it. It was a life changing experience, helped me get my self esteem and respect back, and I went on to be a decent person. After that year, I only got to see him a few weeks every several years while I was in the NAVY passing thru on my way to and from Japan. Then it was mostly phone calls or letters, few and far between.

He was a smoker, and got lung cancer in 1999, spoke with him in the fall, he was in good spirits, the tumor was shrinking, etc. I arranged for time off in the spring, trying to get $$ for the trip to Hawaii, was going to go see him for his B'day in April. I started growing a beard for the first time that fall, to show him...he always had one when I met him and spent time with him. Got a call in Dec. from my stepmom that his tumor had started growing again, and that he had gone into the hospital due to difficulty breathing. He lapsed into a COMA before I could call, and he was gone a few days later...so I never got to say goodbye, I love him or anything! I wore my beard that whole year in rememberence of him.

I've had a bike since I was 17, my 81SH XS11 since '83, but it had developed the 2nd gear malady in '92, parked it, no garage, was going to get back to it, but didn't have the $$ or know how on how to fix a TRANNY back then! Life and also death happens, and when Dad passed away, it made me realize that life was too short. That's when we got a new house with a garage, and so I vowed to get my machine running again. Spent most of 2000 tearing it down to almost the frame, learned how to do the 2nd and 1st gear fix, rebored, etc.! I met these fine folks that year first on the Yahoo group, and then later here on the FORUM. I attended my first rally in 2002 going to XS East in Alexandria Bay, NY from Tidewater, Va..

Have been to several rallies since then, have met many folks, made many friends, and consider many of them as extended family members!

I think of my Dad often when I'm riding "Godzilla", and I'm sure you and your son will be able to share many good memories to come from both working on and then riding your "time machine". Welcome to XS11.com.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Gene-Sorry to hear about your Dad.I lost my Father back in 2000 after years of strokes and what not.He hated my motorcycles when i first started to ride but through a co-worker of his began to understand that teenagers rebel and that was my way to rebel-by riding a motorcycle.He eventually was curious and began to look at the bike every time i rode it.Keep the tradition alive by keeping the bike going!
                1980 XS1100 SG
                Inline fuel filters
                New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                160 mph speedometer mod
                Kerker Exhaust
                xschop K & N air filter setup
                Dynojet Recalibration kit
                1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

After writing that post thought i would share another experience.In 2000 after my Dad passed away,i was living in an apartment in PA and had to keep the bike covered in the parking lot where i lived.It was bitter cold and i called my Mom in NJ and told her that i want to ride the bike so i could put it in her garage for the winter.I felt it was being neglected and wanted it in the warm garage free from the elements.She came to my apartment and followed me to her house.The weather had to be maybe 25 degrees out.I rode straight to her house and when i got off the bike she said to me-your Dad would have been proud of you to ride in that cold weather and you didn't stop once!
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  Inline fuel filters
                  160 mph speedometer mod
                  Kerker Exhaust
                  1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                    Hey there Gene,

I'm a little late, but also wanted to convey my condolences on your loss!

I didn't have a father figure when I was a child, I didn't meet my father until I was 12 y/o. in 1970. I got to spend 1 week with him when I was 14, and then a year when I was 15, first year in High School. I had been bullied for the previous 3 years in Junior High..I was/am a nerd and never really learned to fight, didn't want to get into trouble with school, etc.! So...when I got the chance to move away from Fla. to Hawaii and spend time with him, I jumped at it. It was a life changing experience, helped me get my self esteem and respect back, and I went on to be a decent person. After that year, I only got to see him a few weeks every several years while I was in the NAVY passing thru on my way to and from Japan. Then it was mostly phone calls or letters, few and far between.

He was a smoker, and got lung cancer in 1999, spoke with him in the fall, he was in good spirits, the tumor was shrinking, etc. I arranged for time off in the spring, trying to get $$ for the trip to Hawaii, was going to go see him for his B'day in April. I started growing a beard for the first time that fall, to show him...he always had one when I met him and spent time with him. Got a call in Dec. from my stepmom that his tumor had started growing again, and that he had gone into the hospital due to difficulty breathing. He lapsed into a COMA before I could call, and he was gone a few days later...so I never got to say goodbye, I love him or anything! I wore my beard that whole year in rememberence of him.

I've had a bike since I was 17, my 81SH XS11 since '83, but it had developed the 2nd gear malady in '92, parked it, no garage, was going to get back to it, but didn't have the $$ or know how on how to fix a TRANNY back then! Life and also death happens, and when Dad passed away, it made me realize that life was too short. That's when we got a new house with a garage, and so I vowed to get my machine running again. Spent most of 2000 tearing it down to almost the frame, learned how to do the 2nd and 1st gear fix, rebored, etc.! I met these fine folks that year first on the Yahoo group, and then later here on the FORUM. I attended my first rally in 2002 going to XS East in Alexandria Bay, NY from Tidewater, Va..

Have been to several rallies since then, have met many folks, made many friends, and consider many of them as extended family members!

I think of my Dad often when I'm riding "Godzilla", and I'm sure you and your son will be able to share many good memories to come from both working on and then riding your "time machine". Welcome to XS11.com.
                    Thanks for your many kind words Topcat. Sounds like the trail I'm on has been traveled before. Nice to share it with a good group of guys.

God Bless,

Gene
                    Gene (Florida)
                    1980 XS1100SG
                    Accel Coils
                    4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by oldyam80sg View Post
                      After writing that post thought i would share another experience.In 2000 after my Dad passed away,i was living in an apartment in PA and had to keep the bike covered in the parking lot where i lived.It was bitter cold and i called my Mom in NJ and told her that i want to ride the bike so i could put it in her garage for the winter.I felt it was being neglected and wanted it in the warm garage free from the elements.She came to my apartment and followed me to her house.The weather had to be maybe 25 degrees out.I rode straight to her house and when i got off the bike she said to me-your Dad would have been proud of you to ride in that cold weather and you didn't stop once!
                      I'm sure your Dad said, "That my boy".

I just picked up the 81' XS1100SH on saturday from San Diego. Everyone thinks I'm crazy because it needs alot of work. My wife and friends said, "By a new bike you have the money". My son and I got back late on saturday and all I could do is warm it up and gunk it. The motor does run. Sunday my Dad and I started taking the bike apart like we were going through a pit stop. Airbox off, carbs off, jets out, tank off, seat off, electrical being checked, clutch, brake inspected, etc. Just waiting on parts now. Wife thought I was crazy, but I was in heaven. I felt like my Dad was right next to me. I can't wait till next weekend.

God Bless
                      Gene (Florida)
                      1980 XS1100SG
                      Accel Coils
                      4-1 Jardine Exhaust

Comment

Too bad my Fathers emphysema hampered alot of things he used to do.He couldn't walk more than 20 feet without being out of breath.Too bad because he knew a little about everything.If he didn't know an answer he would go and do research until he found something.
                        1980 XS1100 SG
                        Inline fuel filters
                        160 mph speedometer mod
                        Kerker Exhaust
                        1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Comment

Working...
                        X